EQD Swiss Things - can't rave about this, enough

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lordradish, Feb 3, 2019.

1. lordradish

lordradish Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Okay, so I have a 12 pedal pedalboard that I run my 6 string bass through (and occasional guitar) for mostly soundscape-type stuff, and I've been struggling with tone-suck, I've tried buffers, moving things around, etc. I didn't go the big bypass-looper route, but that was my next thing... and then EQD came out with the Swiss Things.

Quick rundown - switchable/adjustable 20db boost, two effects loops, with second one buffered, AB/Y, tuner output, and a jack to use an EXP pedal for volume.

This pedal was a GODSEND. It took care of my tone problems, immediately... I was getting a lot of hum, before that I couldn't track down and by isolating the pedals, maybe there was some sort of ground loop, or something, but the hum was gone. I'd tried everything to get rid of it, cables, etc.

Also, I think taking the buffer out of the first half of the board, and being able to dial back in the right amount of boost (10 o'clock does it, when the second loop is engaged), I am one happy player, now. If you have some tone suck problems with a big board, I can't recommend this enough. I was getting incredibly frustrated with my tone problems, and this did the trick.

2. $250.00 it doggone well ought to make you rave.

3. RissKippery

RissKippery

Mar 3, 2016
    I'd love to see a pic of the board if you have it all put together with the Swiss Things. Been so intrigued by this pedal. If the effects loops could be toggled between series and parallel, I'd own one myself. I also love their flexi switches. They're a truly genius idea.

I also can't believe people make comments about it being overpriced. Is $250 a lot to spend on one pedal? Sure. But how many pedals does the Swiss Things replace? I think that asking price is very fair.

4. It is if you need 2 loops and an aby.

Veldar likes this.
  5. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    I'll get a pic up, soon.
    I wasn't really thinking about the price, so much, it was more about board space, of which I had very little left. I have some Meris and Strymons, so I didn't really balk at the price. Plus, the price of a good boost, a two loop bypass, a buffer, and and AB/Y would cost way more than this, and the volume pedal through the expression pedal made a huge difference.

I don't think the price was unreasonable, at all, so I don't understand the complaints, either.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    RissKippery and bassbrad like this.
  6. It's okay - really you can call me cheap, sometimes my frugal does get the better of me. :bassist:

lordradish likes this.
  7. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Oh, it's all cool. I thoroughly recognize not everyone's got the same budget. I don't have a lot of financial obligations so a lot of my disposable income goes to gear. Who am I kidding? Almost all of it goes to gear.

bassbrad likes this.
  8. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    And actually, as I mentioned, if you did need all or most of those things, this is actually quite a bargain!

9. Daniel DeRubis

Daniel DeRubis

Apr 15, 2018
    Ive been wanting to know what happens if you use a volume pedal in the exp/volume pedal input? I have a MINI X volume pedal and want to place it there.

10. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    It wouldn't work, because a volume pedal is a pass through, with an in and an out. The expression is just one in, and the signal itself is different. I think that's the point of using the EXP instead of a volume, less tone suck. THat was readily apparent to me, and the first thing I did when I got this was sell my volume pedal.

11. bassgeek

bassgeek Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    My GAS for this went through the roof when I actually got to see one in the flesh today. Really nice design and look. I can't wait to get one and put it to use.

Did you find the layout convenient? I'm not quite the fan of the suggestions to put it in the upper right corner of a board. Seems like I saw that on some Earthquaker demo vids.

12. Daniel DeRubis

Daniel DeRubis

Apr 15, 2018
    I just got mine set up. Diggin it so far. You dont have to at all put it there. It works for me but I also would consider, and have seen boards with it on the bottom middle. Again, so dependant on your board and use of the box.

13. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    I actually ended up putting mine in the lower right, it just worked out best, that way, and I also like having it so easily accessible.

14. bassgeek

bassgeek Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    yeah, I realize you don't HAVE to put it there. I just don't know why, in at least two of the videos I saw, the Earthquaker guys say, "Start by putting it in the upper right of your board." That's kind of the last place I'd put it based on my needs and layout.

15. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
  16. I think of myself as frugal and a careful shopper. Thank you very much. But once I was poor, who am I fooling still poor.

17. Daniel DeRubis

Daniel DeRubis

Apr 15, 2018
    Anyone ever get the expression/volume to work on this thing? Ive gone through numerous volume and expression pedals to make it work and it just does not!

18. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    My Moog expression pedal worked with no problem. If your pedal has an adjustable sweep, make sure it's open all of the way.

19. Daniel DeRubis

Daniel DeRubis

Apr 15, 2018
    Yeah it really makes me think I might just have a defective Swiss Things. 100% of the time I get no signal. Ive tried every switch every combination of inputs.

20. lordradish

Jul 20, 2006
    Vermont
    Probably a good idea to contact EQD support.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021