1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ergonomics of Ken Smith Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by skagli, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Hi Guys!...I would like to have some information about the ergonomic characteristics of Ken Smith basses…
    I think that the “classic” body style gives a little neck diving to the bass…is it correct?...
    But with the BSR body style?...the horn is longer than the classic, so the position should be more natural…
    What are yours experiences?
    Neck diving?
    With the BSR shape the shape give a correct position to the bass?...
    the neck stay horizontal or has the tendency lo "look the sky"? ...this for me is the best ergonomic choice

thanks a lot!
    Matteo

2. The BSR shape balances very well. Ken Smith is known for his 6-string basses and he has clearly chosen a shape to accomodate that. In other words, the neck does not dive.

3. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I had a BT body style 4 string for 20 years and never noticed a "neck dive" issue, although I found it some what more comfortable to play seated then standing. I now have a BSR 5 string and for me the comfort level is wonderful. The neck stays at a moderate angle, still feels good seated as well.
    bill

4. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Endorsing Artist: MTD Basses, La Bella Strings, and 64 Audio IEMs
    I believe Ken has said that the BT shape was designed to be played sitting down, while the BSR was designed to be played either way. I've definitely noticed neck dive on older Smiths, but IMO that was moreso because of the "big head" design that they used to have. The newer Smiths with the BT body style have normal headstocks and don't neckdive (although the angle is a bit different because of the horn).

5. +1 The old, original 'big head' models (with the black headstocks) had severe neck dive issues when in standing position, but that's only on the old, original models (like in those early Patitucci video's). Both the current body styles are well balanced sitting and standing.

I believe I remember during the transition to the new body style, Ken actually called that original body style the 'studio' model, since it balanced beautifully sitting down.

6. thanks to all!...
    …one more question about the ergonomics…can you compare the feeling to play a BSR standing on, to a famous bass?..like jazz 5 string for example, or a Yamaha trb…

KS basses looks very nice!
    …Now I must start to save money! (a lot of money!)

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    5-string Smith necks are to me to most comfortable necks in the world. The profile is just so perfect (to my hands).

Smiths tend to run a bit heavy. 5-stringss are usually 9.5 lbs or more. I don't know if you can actually order one specifically using light-weight wood. The BSR body is big.

The BSRs have no neck dive. My only complaint is that Smiths don't have a tummy or arm cut, so they don't mold to your body. This can get tiring after awhile. You feel the body of the bass poking your rib cage.

8. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    neck dive and ken smith basses are like pig and elephant DNA they just dont splice...

They fit perfect on my body, comfortably sitting or standing... well balanced, they jsut happen to lay in the perfect spot and allow for perfect technique.

necks are very playable at any point on them..

I prefer the BMT and BSR body style... but the new Fusion style (basically a BSR crossed with a BMT (no notch behind the bridge) looks nice too... looks like all the comfort is there...

I have played BT body styles, but not enough to really compare to my BMT or BSR basses...

9. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    BSR body is smaller than BMT / BT basses...

P1070161.

10. nice collection man!...
    what's is the wood of the top of the fretless?
    bubinga?

11. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    I've had many...of various shapes. They all balance great for me....my old 1985 BT and my newer 6 strings.

For me, they simply work.

12. SLaPiNFuNK

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California

frettless is Lacewood Top and Back...

P1040758.

13. VroomVroom

VroomVroom Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF Bay Area, CA
    From a balance perspective, I think the closest I can come in comparing a BSR to anything would be an F Bass. I absolutely love the playability and balance of Ken Smith instruments. If you find one that rings for you sonically, you will have a true gem.