1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD Ernie Ball BFR Old Smoothie Stingray roasted maple neck with bindings.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by JohnThomasson, Aug 17, 2020.

1. JohnThomasson

JohnThomasson Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, DR Strings, Source Audio,& Fishman
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is an Ernie Ball Old Smoothie BFR edition. Trans Buttermilk finish with a roasted neck and white binding. It is 1 of 90 basses from the January 2018 BFR series. This one is #42 of 90. It is in great condition. You can feel a tiny bit of the skunk stripe behind the first and second fret. The rest of the neck is smooth. I don't even think about it when I'm playing. You can't see it and there is no way to photograph it. It's a gloss finish and you could probably use something to smooth it out. It just never bothered me.

Here is a link to the series.
    Ball Family Reserve | Ernie Ball Music Man

I can make sound clips if needed. I'll take a few of my own pictures later today. I have attached pictures of the actual bass that Sweetwater took. It is in the same shape other than the usual super minor stuff on the pick guard you get from gigging on the bass. The body and neck are flawless and the mutes are in great shape. I wish more basses did a design like they do with the mutes. I used them quite a bit. I'm the original owner, and the bass weighs 9.2lbs.

I would really prefer a sale over a trade. I am also about to list my 30th anniversary 5 string Stingray that matches this bass. White/roasted neck. I am thinking about taking this one down when I list that one.

$1900 shipped
    Sweetwater's pictures of the actual bass.
    C30989-angle-xlarge.jpg C30989-back-xlarge.jpg C30989-backbody-xlarge.jpg C30989-body-xlarge.jpg C30989-detail1-xlarge.jpg C30989-detail2-xlarge.jpg C30989-front-xlarge.jpg C30989-serial-xlarge.jpg

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  2. mcclurer16

mcclurer16 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Beautiful bass! I have a chocolate burst non-reserve old Smoothie from 2014. I love the tone. To me it sounds somewhere between P-bass and Stingray. Someone is going to be happy with that bass. Good luck with the sale!

3. TLicksBass

TLicksBass

Mar 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    What trades would you be interested in?

4. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I don't know. I have lots of Fenders, so probably not any newer Fenders. A Roscoe Beck Fender would be cool. I like Fender-ish ones like Sadowsky, Lull, Lakland, Moollon. Oddballs like Serek. I wouldn't mind an older Music Man 5 if it was plus cash. I am mostly a 4 string, passive guy, but I wouldn't mind a vibey 5.

5. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Here are some pics that I just took of the bass. IMG_20200817_143713.jpg IMG_20200817_143723.jpg \

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
    SilGarzaJr, GregC and byoung93888 like this.
  6. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I can't photograph what I am talking about where the skunk stripe starts by the 2nd fret. It's such a small thing.
    IMG_20200817_144012.jpg IMG_20200817_143958.jpg IMG_20200817_143935.jpg IMG_20200817_143929.jpg IMG_20200817_143920.jpg IMG_20200817_143803.jpg
    IMG_20200821_185224.jpg

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
  7. byoung93888

byoung93888 Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    That neck looks fantastic!

8. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Wow. That's beautiful.

9. bdeaux

bdeaux Bass, the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2002
    Salt Lake City based
    Branden Campbell
    Why are you tempting me like this?!! This bass is at the top of my bass bucket list.

Holdsg, jebmd and byoung93888 like this.
  10. rick0link

rick0link Supporting Member Commercial User

May 22, 2010
    Washington, Pennsylvania USA
    Beardly Customs
    Trade ya straight up for this.

Attached Files:

11. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I'm pretty good on Sting Rays. Thanks for the offer.

Branden, it's a great bass. I've used it with flats and rounds. It drives a band. I think I had it when we played that show in Utah on July 4th that you couldn't make.

12. MrJamesBass

MrJamesBass

Oct 7, 2019
    I have #11 and it has the same problem with the skunk stripe in exactly the same place. I would be curious to know if any more owners notice something similar. It has not been an issue so far and I have never played a nicer bass. Plus, it’s a deal as far as I can see. Limited edition and hand made...hard to find that under 3k.

JohnThomasson and byoung93888 like this.
  13. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    That's interesting that it is the same for you. My BFR didn't come with any special certificate even though I bought it new from Sweetwater. What part of the serial number tells you which number it is in the series? Mine is C30989.
    It's a great bass. I'm just trying to downsize and recast my bass collection.

jebmd likes this.
  14. MrJamesBass

MrJamesBass

Oct 7, 2019
    I took a hard look but other than the certificate that came with the bass, nothing seems to indicate the number 11. My serial is C30934. You could probably email EB and they could look up your number. They've patiently entertained some oddball requests from me in the past lol

15. TLicksBass

TLicksBass

Mar 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    I keep looking for that 5th string cause I keep seeing 5 pole pieces but look again and see it's a 4 :D

16. JohnThomasson

Feb 3, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    I found my COA and the bass is 42 of 90.

17. 707GK

707GK

Jun 13, 2013
    California
    Oh my!

18. lala

lala Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Outstanding version of the OLD SMOOTHIE. Beautiful neck, great color. These basses sound amazing. I'm sure it will soon find an appreciative new partner in crime. GLWTS

Bogun and byoung93888 like this.
  19. Danny C

Danny C

Oct 31, 2018
    I have a Lull PJ passive in excellent condition. I love it but I’m always looking to try something different and this is a brand I wanna try.

20. jdwinva

jdwinva Supporting Member

Aug 3, 2005
    Leesburg, VA
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021