Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP B50

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dot Your Eyes, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Dot Your Eyes

Dot Your Eyes

Aug 27, 2005
    So, I'm getting rid of my Squire P-Bass and going to a ESP B50. I've heard nothing but good things about this bass on other sites. What do you guys think?

I absolutely adore the way it looks.

[​IMG]

2. You should save up and get another bass.

3. lola99

lola99

Jan 28, 2006
    to bassist for life, why? What's the matter with these basses? I was offered a used one for $125-150, so I was curious.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have one and I really like it. There are a few things that are worth knowing, though. As it is a budget priced bass, the fretwork isn't perfect and the electronics are just "ok". To me, these things don't matter because I defretted mine and am planning on replacing the pickups and hardware anyway. I got mine as a "project bass": one that I could hack up and experiment with, and not feel too badly if I messed something up. For the money, I feel that it is certainly above any Squire or low end Ibanez. For the price you mentioned, I would definitely buy one. It really is a good value. Good luck.

5. lola99

lola99

Jan 28, 2006
    Thank you for the info, bass-shy, I'll go ahead and get it. Is there anything else I should watch out for, given that I won't be replacing much in the immediate future? I'm just starting out and ignorance is not bliss.

6. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Well, the stock neck pickup is actually quite good, IMO, but the bridge pickup is unusable. It is very noisy. Also, if you have a chance, you should play a few different B-50's and decide on which one feels and sounds best to you. Instruments at this price point often have some flaws as quality control isn't as big an issue as it would be with $1000 instruments. There are definitely good bargain priced basses out there, you just have to know what to look for. Good luck and welcome to TB.