Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ESP Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spanky_123, Jun 23, 2005.

1. spanky_123

spanky_123

Dec 7, 2004
    I was thinking of buying an ESP bass... mostly for hard rock and heavy metal... I'd have to order it because no stores nearby me have them in stock... I want somethin with a really gnarly raunchy tone... does anyone know how these are??... or any basses that fit this description... thanks

2. hatrock

hatrock

Mar 4, 2005
    I've got a B-105 (passive) and I like the sound. I think ESP now has the B-205. It's a slick lookin' bass and feels great. I play a lot of styles, but the heavy rock from Metallica to Rush sounds great on the B-105.

3. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    I own a C-304 and I love it. It has great tone, and playability. (the whole bit) I would recomend it to you, especially if you're on a tight budget.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I have a C-304 as well and I can't speak highly enough of it. It is able to nail nearly any tone I want and it is a dream to play. Definitely worth the cash. Also, a few of these were shipped with a 25k blend pot instead of a 250k. The result is a significant signal drop with it set dead center. I called ESP and asked them about it and they sent me the correct pot free of charge. ESP is a great copany that makes fine instruments. Good luck.

5. I own an F-204, and I love it. I fell in love with the looks, but couldn't believe it when I tested one. They don't make the 204 anymore, but rather the F-254/255's which are neck-thru and the body wood is agathis instead of mahogany.
    My 204 is Korean made, but built very well. Alot of attention to detail on a bass I only paid 350.00 for..

The b64 active 3-band EQ really works well. This bass can go from bright and thin to thick and heavy quickly.

My bass also had a blend pot that was upgraded. I had the output drop at dead center problem, and this was because of a 500k linear pot that ESP had later upgraded to a 250k audio pot. Got one sent out free and been working great ever since.

If you start looking for an ESP, consider something in the 200 series or higher. They have better electronics...

Mag...

6. Daytona955i

Daytona955i

Feb 17, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I just ordered a B-254, I'll let you know when it gets here.

Passive Emg's, active EQ, neck thru, string thru body or string thru bridge, agathis body, flame maple top.

I can't wait.

7. spanky_123

spanky_123

Dec 7, 2004
    Thanks everyone... I think I'll probably be looking into one soon... the F body style jus gives me heebie geebies all over... :hyper: :bassist:

8. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    my 304 was awesome I regret wanting to get rid of it. Its light has GREAT action and cuts through the mix. check the scratch and dent thread for current pictures :(

9. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    I had a B-205 for a year. I found it to be very average, but considering how little it cost, I guess it was ok. I was just seeking something a lot better. It all depends on how much you're willing to spend. I thought it was a good guitar until I bought a better, more expensive one and realized what I was missing.

but honestly, you can pick up an ESP bass for a song on Ebay, so they aren't considered that great. But for the price (you can pick up any number of them for less than $300), the risk is LOW, so why not buy one and try it for yourself? For example..here's one for $275, no bids.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7332063980&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

10. That $275 is pretty much the price of a NEW B154, shipped. It's probably not a bad model at all, but personally I'd opt for one with the 3-band EQ, like the B254/255..

Mag...

11. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    My B-304 is an excellent bass. It's got a fast neck, three-band active EQ, and the EMG Hz's. It's always done a great job for me in every musical setting. I'm selling it now (anyone interested?), but only because I've got a Cirrus 6 now, and my ESP isn't seeing any playing time.

12. Shakey

Shakey Vote for Pedro!!

Apr 12, 2005
    Roanoke, Va
    Pics pls.

13. Nova

Nova

Apr 19, 2002
    Williamstown, WV
    I play a C-305. Great basses. Such a shame they discontinued them.

14. I just ordered a B-206 Its my first entry intot the six string world. And I got it for a really great price...i should have it in about 2 weeks. Ill post a review when i get it.

15. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yeah. I was bummed when I found out about that. At least I got my C-304 in time. It is a fantastic instrument.