ESP basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by beelzelboss, Aug 17, 2009.

1. I love the B series. I got a b55 as my second bass a long time ago so i imagine that is even better

2. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Inactive

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    I like ESP a lot. I think they get a lot of crap from people who've never really played one. My main bass for 3 years was an ESP, and I was able to play a lot of different styles with it and it's 3 band EQ.

3. I had an esp ec 154 and i didnt like it much, sounded really muddy.

4. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Inactive

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Look for a used Ibanez, MUCH higher quality IMO and IME.

5. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    I own modulus, spector, ibanez and esp basses. I play the esp basses live. Like most companies quality is hit and miss with foreign made basses. I would NOT say the ibanez quality is anymore greater then the esp basses. I will say my ibanez 5 string's neck warped and the preamp wasn't the most usable. does that mean the company makes bad basses? no... I've heard and played some nicer sounding ibanez basses so I know its not all their basses..

what Im trying to say is... for the most part foreign made "budget" basses will be hit and miss. Unless you're paying for something in the $1000+ range I would worry more about bass that feels comfortable and gets you the tone you want. I use the Esp basses 1)because they sound just as good as the spectors through my gk+mesa rig for the tone I want and 2) I dont worry as much about the basses getting damaged or stolen because they run about 3-400$ 3) Its a cosmetic thing.

I did a show with the band Hemlock a while back and thats the same bass their singer uses. Sounded fine and he's had it for years.

6. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I own a B404-SM and its a player!
    Mine has full-fledged EMG pickups and pre and has a powerful tone.
    I took it to practice yesterday-we were auditioning a singer and rhythm guitar player and running through a Behringer PA combo-it more than held its own against drums, 2 guitars and vocals.

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I'm a big fan of ESP. The B-154 is a good bass, especially for the price. The D-4 is also a great value. Good luck.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Yeah, that way you can be just like Fieldy Snuts!

9. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    Now there is ESP and then theres LTD.

10. I miss my F-255 sounded real good especially with some pro steels

11. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    very good point. ESP would be ther USA models... LTD by ESP is the foreign stuff. I should point out I've got the LTD's when I talked about "ESP" in relation to Ibanez ect. ect..

12. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008
    I think ESP is mostly metal, along with Jackson, so if you are playing that style of music i think it would be a good choice..

13. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    try not to open a can of worms..

14. makanudo

makanudo

Dec 26, 2008

someone trying the B 155DX

15. Zako

Zako

May 9, 2007
    Waterloo, IA
    I have an ESP LTD F-254

Its really nice, i love neck-throughs :bassist:

iv never even had to adjust the neck out of 4 years of having it and having it fall over from not sitting on a stand.:bag:

I would say go for it, cant go wrong in my book with ESP LTD

16. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    I had an ESP LTD F-404FM. Sounded nice, but the 35'' scale was uncomfortable enough for me to return it. Also, I noticed that they stopped putting those wicked tribal inlays on their basses...don't get me wrong, the bass I had was very nice, but maybe they are more budget conscious now...does that translate to any other part of their basses?

How it used to be:
    http://images.google.com/imgres?img...DFA_enUS340&sa=N&um=1&ei=diaKSrmWFMWflAfeqewm

How it be:
    http://www.birdlandmusic.net/product_image.php?imageid=13362

Still, it did sound very good, a bit harsh...really rock oriented.

17. Mildly incorrect, actually. ESP is a Japanese company. There was a brief period in the '90's where an American ESP factory was working, but it's out of commission now. Most ESP models are hand made in one of two Japanese facilities, with the northern one focusing more on their extensive custom shop. LTD is the budget line, these are either Korean or Indonesian factory made. One thing I like to point out is that some of the LTD factory basses in the Forrest, D-, and B-series are neck-thrus for a decent price. If that's important to you.

This next part isn't quite official history, but...after Fender acquired Jackson, there's certainly been a few popular metal acts that have jumped to the ESP boat. And while metal and rock are popular draws, it's not an exclusive genre identity.

I've been quite impressed with these basses and guitars in the past. Their custom shop is their big draw, and I'm thinking about indulging a little for my next purchase.

~Taelyn, who is not an endorsing artist, just a fan

18. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
  19. thanks guys! I own an Ibanez already so I wanted to try a different brand. I love it, but just wanted to try something else for metal and rock. Thanks for all the suggestions.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021