1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ESP Custom Lab comparable to...???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ModuMan, Mar 5, 2010.

1. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    I have an ESP Edwards Jazz bass (E-T-125BZ) that is in need of some repair work. I'm scouting out new pickups and preamp and since I'm doing that I'd like to try to get it as close to the high end version of this bass as possible... if possible. I can upgrade the bridge but the pickups are a challenge. The ESP high-end version of the bass (the Buzz bass, a Tetsu sig model) has:

PICKUPS :
    (Front)ESP Custom Lab CL-P-J-1n
    (Rear) ESP Custom Lab CL-P-J-1b
    CONTROL :
    Master Volume
    3 Band EQ(ESP Cinnamon)

What is available that would come close to these ESP "secret sauce" pickups and preamp? I know ESP uses a lot of Seymour Duncan stuff so maybe there is something from them that would work?

As for the character of the bass, the pickups are pretty hot (loud) and aggressive so I don't think we're going for a vintage or hi-fi vibe.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. ModuMan

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    Bump...???

3. ModuMan

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    The "it's been a year, can anyone help?" bump.

Same bass, still working on it. I tried a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders as well as the SD STC-3P EQ but it didn't work out that well. The first pre was a dud and the second one is okay but it only sounds decent (to me) with the "slap switch" engaged.

I was able to get an ESP Cinnamon pre. I am hoping to upgrade the pickups if I can.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020