Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Essential John Deacon Tracks

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by xsogol, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Hi All,

Yet another one of my essential tracks threads...this time, it's the great John Deacon...I know there are plenty of Deacon threads (I've read a ton), but none quite like this one.

What are your favorite tracks that Deacy plays on? Thanks!

2. PeppermanL2K

PeppermanL2K ...and on the 8th day, God created the Habanero.

Feb 3, 2006
    Huntsville, AL
    Probably my fave Deacy Track is "You're My Best Friend". He's all over the fretboard on that one, but VERY tastefully! He and the Ox are probably my 2 biggest influences.

3. the millionaire waltz.

4. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Killer Queen
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    Under Pressure,
    You're My Best Friend
    Dragon Attack

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I remember trying to play "A kind of magic" when I was just starting out and I almost broke my fretting hand. :D

I like the bass line for "The Show Must Go On", it's loaded with nifty fills and licks.
    Also check out "Hammer to Fall", even though there wasn't a lot of room for him in this guitar-driven song, there's still something 'elegant' about the line. The word 'elegant' is also what I think describes his playing best.

Oops, I almost forgot "These Are The Days Of Our Lives"

6. staying power
    dragon attack
    anotherone bites the dust
    staying power(even thoug i think its actually keyboard)
    Liar
    crazy little thing called love (iv been learning this one recently)
    action this day

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Liar for sure. I just love those rocker tracks from the early albums where Deacon and Taylor really lock in together. Excellent stuff!

MM

8. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Radio Ga Ga

There's an awesome fretless slur during the intro!

9. 0/0.0\0

0/0.0\0

Oct 5, 2005
    Father to Son
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    Killer Queen
    The Loser In The End
    Dragon Attack
    Another One Bites The Dust

10. +1
    I love Deacon's stuff but found it quite tricky to leave a response to this one... The first few albums have his most 'in your face' stuff I suppose...

I love 'The Fairy Feller's Master Stroke', and the slight but gorgeous 'Nevermore', both from Queen II.

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Don't Stop me Now

Love it!

12. Lo.

Lo.

Jan 29, 2005
    NW UK
    Don't Stop Me Now is the one for me too.

'Bring Back Leroy Brown' is odd but good fun.

13. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    Fight From The Inside.
    scared me when I was a leeetle boy...

14. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Wow, I'm surprised that there haven't been more posts here, Deaky is truly under-rated. He did have a talent to play a great part, but it didn't necessarily jump right out, he was competing with multi-layered vocal harmonies and orchestral guitar parts. He avoided cliches often. I have been listening to a lot of Queen lately, and on some of their songs, you do have to listen to hear the parts that he is playing.

On the latter material, John takes a very mature approach, as on the previously mentione "These Are the Days of Our Lives." His part on "Breakthrough" is very good, he just doesn't stick to pumping the eighths, although that seems to be what the song calls for. "Dragon Attack" has been mentioned, but that is a very under-rated and unappreciated song, funk rock to the fullest, great bass rif, hot guitars, anthemic choruses. It's such a happening riff, but when you see them do it live, he's barely breaking a sweat, staying completely in one position. Another song to examine more closely is "UInder Pressure". Sure it has that simple and omnipresent intro riff, but listen to what he does when he moves from the riff. Go ahead, check it out!

15. Roger Taylor played bass on that one.
    What scared you? That 'Get Down, Make Love' was drawing ever closer?
    :D

16. jazzbo58

jazzbo58 Bassist for My Man Godbey Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2001
    New Orleans, LA USA
    Deacon's great! My favorite would have to be Stone Cold Crazy.

Cheers,
    Jim

17. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    The Invisible man...multi tracked bass goodness..(yeah theres a synth in there but its still good)
    Cool Cat...Funkay
    Misfire..From sheer heat attack..great pop bassline
    Machines...The Works album.
    Your my best friend.
    Dragon attack
    Another one bites the dust...I LOVE that stingray sound
    The Miracle
    Khashoggis ship
    Millionaires waltz
    Bohemian Rhapsody
    One Vision..The guitar solo section on the live at wembley album.
    Deacon and Taylor are TIGHT
    Stone Cold Crazy
    Fun It

etc etc

18. D.J

D.J

Jan 31, 2000
    Well there are so many great basslines for this wonderful player.
    He had great stuff from early albums like:
    The Fairy Feller's Master Strokes, Father to Son, Liar, The Night Comes Down, The Loser in the End, Son and Daughter, Brighton Rock, Killer Queen, Stone Cold Crazy, Ogre Battle, The Millionaire Waltz, You're My Best Friend, then I would add songs like Jealousy, Bicycle Race, Fat Bottomed Girls, Don't Stop Me Now, Dragon Attack, AOBTD, Under Pressure, COOL Cat, A Kind of Magic, Radio Gaga, Breakthru, Don't Try So Hard, I'm Going Slightly Mad, These Are the Days of Our Lives, Stealin.

19. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Fife, WA
    bicycle race - it's pretty much all bass to me (at least, every time I listen to it)

20. Weasel

Weasel

Feb 18, 2003
    Tampere, Finland
    John Deacon is my fave rock bassplayer together with Macca. Glad to find this thread!

He´s doing something cool in almost every Queen track so it´s really difficult to pick the essentials. But I´ll go with "Show must go on" and "I´m going slightly mad" for the new ones. First mentioned got some really nice fills played up on the neck and latter has one of the most psychedelic bassline I´ve ever heard.

You might want to check out the tracks hes been credited to, full of great bassplaying as well as the rest of the material ;) May be I´m not too objective...