1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EUB builders: Which tuners?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bassteban, Apr 29, 2006.

1. What type of tuners are most commonly found on electric upright basses?

2. On a couple of experimental EUB's I used the compact Gotoh BG tuners and eventually broke strings because the post diameter is too small. The bass Bill Paulin made for me has Fender-style Schallers with the larger post and these are OK. However there's not much room for wrapping the E-string so I had to cut it as short as possible. This is a compromise I made because I wanted to keep the head (and the rest of the bass) as compact as possible. If size is not an issue, I think you'd be better off with traditional DB tuners that go right across the peg box and have plenty of room for wrapping the string.

3. Thank you- that answers my question perfectly. I'd planned on using the compact tuners, but wondered about the very problem you had. I also want to keep the headstock as small as possible. Actually, I've already nearly completed the neck, & as I designed it intending to use the smaller tuners, I may be have trouble getting something w/larger diameter posts on...:meh:
    Live & learn...:rolleyes:

4. Bill did the same on one of his early basses but was able to cut down the plate of the Fender-style tuners to make them fit. Fortunately they were black so it was easy to touch up the finish.
    One of the Schaller models will retro-fit Fenders (large posts) but has a smaller body.

5. I did the same thing with nylons and they worked fine. Went to build another EUB so I ordered the compact Gotoh's again and now they have a bigger post diameter. Not quite as big as schaller type, but they are working well.

6. I'm leaning towards the larger-diameter Hipshot Ultralites; they look as if they'll go right on & have a 1/2" post. I'll let you all know how it goes.

7. I didn't realise they made one with the larger post. They're beautifully made - I'll have a look at them for my next bass.