1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EUB design and build and some lessons learned

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Jaygetsreal, Nov 25, 2017.

1. 0 Very happy with the result.

A couple of years ago I was starting to lean towards jazz and wondered if my ear was good enough to play a fretless instrument. I reasoned that because I can hear when any instrument is slightly out of tune - much to the annoyance sometimes of my bandmates - it was worth a try.

I love the DB and wanted one but I'm a tight b@stard and wasn't in a position to buy a decent one.

OK I confess. I'm one of those guys with a home workshop ('shed' here in Australia) who likes to build amps, speakers, pedals etc which cost me less but the finished items have almost no resale value. But the creative pleasure I get is priceless.

So with time on my hands (I am 65) I decided to design and build an EUB. Many months of internet research later I had the basic dimensions and the build took just over a year in all.

I would not call myself a luthier. DB purists will think I'm just another nutter in a shed somewhere. But for what it's worth I'll share the story and some lessons I learned along the way:

Post 1 Key dimensions
    Post 2 Work in materials you like working with
    Post 3 The diabolical compound curvature fingerboard
    Post 4 Don't skimp on the tuners
    Post 5 Electronics
    Post 6 Strings
    Post 7 Strength where it's needed - carbon fibre
    Post 8 Strength where it's needed - steel
    Post 9 The elusive woody timbre

Stick with me. To my ears the end product sounds amazing!

Happy to answer any questions if you're interested.

Attached Files:

2. Last edited: Nov 26, 2017