1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EUB in bluegrass?

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Zbysek, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Is anyone using EUB (electric upright bass) for bluegrass? How do you get rid of the sustain? Thank you.

2. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    just like in any other situation, in muting the strings after you pluck them.

basspraiser and unbrokenchain like this.
  3. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    What kind of eub and strings are you using?

I have an NS NXT4 that I have used for bluegrass for 5 years. Much improvement when I switched to Obligatos. The synthetic core deadness pairs well with a solid body eub.

Zbysek and unbrokenchain like this.
  4. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    String height is a big factor, at least on regular DB. Lower tension strings jacked up high usually kills the sustain. Though I prefer lower string height and to mute the strings manually so that I can also have sustain if I want it.. $.02

+1 on Obligatos for bluegrass

jthisdell and Zbysek like this.
  5. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    NS Design NXT4 with stock strings (Daddario electric contemporary).

I plan to switch to Daddario Traditionals. Do you know how do they compare to Obligatos? THX.

6. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Yes, I used the Traditionals for awhile before switching to the Obligatos. The Traditionals were a big improvement over the Contemporaries. And much less than the Obligatos and in order to put the Obligatos on I had to switch out the tuners. Let me check, I may have a set of lightly used Traditionals still at home I could send you. I know I gave away the original Contemporaries but I think I may still have a set of Traditionals. Will PM you if I do.

Do you use a preamp with a 10megohm input (also called high-Z)? That makes a big difference in NXT tone. Some amps have an input close enough that you may not need a pre (my ToneHammer sounds prett good without it) but as a general rule a prewith a 10megohm input is needed. If you have the NXTa you may not need one as it has a nui;t in pre.

And yes, raising string height helps some. It comes set very low and is easy to raise.

Zbysek likes this.
  7. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    That's good to know.

Thank you. That's very kind of you.

Yes, I do: either EBS Microbass II preamp (10 Mohm) or Trace Elliot ELF amp (10Mohm) or Broughton HPF DI (impedance selectable between 1 and 10 Mohm)

jthisdell likes this.
  8. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    I regularly play with a guy who uses an EUB and he has a piece of foam rubber stuffed under the strings near the bridge (I do this on my Fender bass).

Zbysek likes this.
  9. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Is the foam stuffed above or below the bridge?

10. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    Above.

You have to experiment some. Any fabric store sells foam rubber in a variety of hardnesses and thicknesses. You can easily cut it thinner with a knife.

Zbysek likes this.
  11. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Several prominent newgrass bands (Greensky Bluegrass, Hot Buttered Rum) use Eminence EUBs. You might check on their bassists' setups for ideas of what (or what not) to do.

Zbysek likes this.
  12. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    I use an eminence in a NewGrass band. No problems with sustain, some of the more modern, jam stuff we do sustain is good. For more traditional bluegrass I just modify my right hand technique a bit to get a flatter sound with less sustain. I use Corelli strings and a Krivo magnetic pickup, though a Grace Designs Bix preamp.

marcox and Zbysek like this.