Euphonic Audio (Wizzy vs CXL and multiple channels)

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Adrian Cho, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I've been looking at EA stuff. Unfortunately there is none here locally that I can try so everything is "on paper" right now. So far I've settled on the Schertler Pub 2/280 and have one right now on evaluation.

I am trying to work out whether the Wizzy or the CXL route is more suited for me if I was to go down the EA route. I've always looked for complete transparency and flat response so it would seem that the CXL is the way to go. An EA dealer I spoke to was suggesting either the CXL-110 or the Wizzy. What I've read is that the Wizzy is a little fuller in the bottom end and has less in the top end because there is no separate tweeter.

One thing that is annoying is that the EA amps only have one channel and the effects return is not parallel like the AI heads. In addition to the bass (AMT mic), I often have the need to plug-in a crappy vocal mic to my own rig so that I can address the audience. I need to do this if there is no house PA.

I was thinking perhaps of going with the Clarus and the CXL-110 (or the Wizzy cab). The EA dealer thinks the Clarus doesn't have enough headroom and that the CXL-110 will not handle a C extension. I had an AI Series I Coda for a number of years and recently I also had a Series II for a few weeks. I found the Clarus could handle my style of playing without a problem - I just came to hate the sound of the cab. As for the CXL-110 bottom end for an extension, I'm not sure it concerns me all that much.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or comments.
  2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I would recommend the Clarus and Wizzy cab. The CXL110 is a 8 ohm cab and the Wizzy is a 4 ohm. The Clarus would be pushing 200 watts @ 4 ohms as opposed to 120 watts @ 8 ohms. The Wizzy is also a little lighter. Both are great cabs and I actually prefer the sound of the CXL110 with enough power, but for your situation I think the Wizzy would be better suited for the Clarus.
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While I haven't played the CxL-110, I have played a number of EA's VL-series cabs, which are very flat and transparent. The Wizzy is not extremely colored by comparison, and even though it does have more of a midrange presence, it still seems fairly transparent to me. Admittedly, the CxL-110 will have the edge in transparency and flat response, but the Wizzy is not unreasonably far from that mark. I agree that it would be a very good cab to consider.

Amp-wise, the iAMP's do have an "aux in", which is of the mini-jack variety. You may be able to pick up an inexpensive mic pre and an adapter cable to run your vocal mic through the iAMP. Just a thought.

4. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Tombowles has had a great deal of hands on experience. I belive he did a very well written compairson of some of the cabinets you're interested in. At least I think it was Tombowles. Anyway, I'm puzzeled that he didn't suggest AccuGroove.

Adrian, you have some great gear. You owe it to your self to at least have a chat with the folks at AccuGrooove.

I hope you will give us your impression of the equipment you audition in your current quest.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Close! Just swap out that "e" for a "u", and you've got me! I didn't suggest Accugroove, because he seemed to be limiting his question to the CxL-110 or the Wizzy. However, now that you mention it ;) ...

I am a big fan of both Accugroove and EA cabs. Which cab is best for you obviously varies with each situation, but in general, these two companies offer the cabs that suite my needs the best (although I have been known to dally into Epifani land from time to time). Presuming that Adrian is looking for a lightweight cab, on the Accugroove side, the (discontinued?) Tri 208 or Tri 110 would be great, or even a Mini Whappo, if that's not too big for you. Of course, I have already made these suggestions to Adrian in other threads, so this is also why I didn't post it again...

Then again, there are those Low Down Sound 2x8's...

6. delbass

Sep 9, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Just tried out a raezer's edge 2x8 cabinet with a clarus head on my! I'd definately recommend that anyone looking for a 2x8 cab try it out. Very clear and coloration. After the gig, I was playing a little solo, and the musicians there told me they thought I was playing acoustic!

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Adrian, you are definitely going to be more happy with the Wizzy for Double Bass. They CXL112 sounds great, but it is really aggressive sounding. The Wizzy will be a lot more natural sounding.
  8. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hi Adrian. Actually I was more interested in the CXL110 vs the Wizzy.
  9. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I know you asked about CXL vs Wizzy, but I wondered if you had considered an Acme B-1, available in either 4 or 8 ohms. I'm using an 8-ohm B1 with an original Clarus and to me it is the perfect string bass rig--very hi fi with incredible bottom that handles low C with no bother. (My pickup is a Schertler Stat-B.) I still own a Contra that I take out occasionally because of the convenience but I find the Clarus with the Acme B-1 provides a far superior sound.

A lot has been written about the Acme's relative lack of efficiency but I've had no trouble with this setup. It is a relatively light, very well built and affordable cabinet. I also own or have owned other cabinets (EA VL110 and VL208, Bergantino HT112) but really like the Acme for jazz bass or for lower volume bass guitar gigs. The Clarus/B-1 combo also works great for keyboards and as a low volume PA amp.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles
  10. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    One more Acme B1 user here. I run a condenser mic through an older Demeter preamp and then 200 watts power into an 8 ohm B1. Flat frequency response all up and down the neck.

They give you two weeks to try it. You can return it for a full refund, but from what I understand, almost everyone keeps them.