EV 15" BX

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_guitar, Oct 22, 2011.

1. bass_guitar

bass_guitar

Oct 22, 2011
    Hello. Google searches kept leading me here so I finally decided it's time to join the forums :) You are not talking to a bass_guitar - haha, realized that after I created the username but o-well, heh.

Rig information: Mesa Boogie 400+ ? i think it's an 82' model.. not sure.. Anyways, I recently had a tinsel wire break off and blow my amp. 333$, 12 new tubes and a few other minor things fixed it blew a second time, then is when I found out about tinsel wires and tube amps. Thankfully after the second time it turned out fine. Just a few blown fuses. Back to the speaker, I brought it in to be looked at, the speaker tech says that the coil is blown too. I guess they press on the paper and if there is a grinding type noise it means the coil is wasted. I installed my EV 15" BX into my Mesa Boogie cab, ran the wiring the correct way, checked the Ohms - got a 6.1 and things looked good.

The speaker frequency range of the BX stretches from 30Hz to 4000Hz which is out of the EQ range on the 400+ My question is, can that cause a fuzzy noise when quietly strumming a string? To trouble shoot the problem I crossed the 'fuzzy low end noise' with another cab that I'm not familiar with, besides it being 8 ohm, and the noise wasn't there. Clean tone. The BX has very little hours on it and I don't think I ever used it the wrong way.

Any insights?

Thanks

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    by your description, it sounds like your voice coil is rubbing on the EV to me, so probably needs a recone.

3. bass_guitar

bass_guitar

Oct 22, 2011
    I believe you but I am shocked as it has very little hours and was never abused. It was bought brand new. I do plan on bringing it in to have looked at. Is it expensive to fix a voice coil?

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    With the cab disconnected (not playing) gently push the cone in and out. See if you hear any little scraping sounds. That'd be coil rub. Recones usually run around 1/2 to 2/3 of a new speaker. It's possible the speaker isn't tightened down evenly all around, that can cause the basket to tweak just enough to cause the coil to rub.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Make sure all the other hardware on the cab is tight, no vibrations and see that the wires inside aren't hanging against the back of the cone.

6. bass_guitar

bass_guitar

Oct 22, 2011
    Thanks. I will try that. The speaker that I pulled with the broken tinsel wire did make that scraping sound which was explained to me by the speaker tech that the coil was burnt out.

Now that you bring up hardware being loose. When I was installing the BX into the cab, there was a slight uneven 'seat' into the cab. I double checked all the screws and when i initially tightened it I did the old tire lug-nut cross tightening method. But one side still seemed to be determined to not seat correctly so I just concluded the framing wasn't true: like slightly off. Tomorrow I'll take a look at it again.

Talk Bass, RULES!!! :)

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021