1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EV RE20 mic and Realist. Any good?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by gcordez, Mar 20, 2009.

1. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    Hi guys,

Im thinking very seriously about trying to mic my bass in live situations. Ive got a schertler DYN-B which is ok at quiet volumes, but im thinking of going back to a piezo (probably the Realist) and using a EV RE20 with it.

I did a recording not so long ago and was really impressed with the RE20. Im wondering if the H-Clamp will be able to take it (its a big,heavy mutha). Does anybody have any experience or advice about this?

Also, any tips about mic placement, live problems etc, would be greatly appriciated.

Im really keen on trying this out, but am i entering a world of pain?...

2. thumper8

thumper8

Feb 27, 2009
    Canada
    Before the AMT and such mics, the RE20 seemed to be the standard for live situations. Larry Grenadier and Christian Mcbride used them, also I think Avishai Cohen is still endorsing the RE20.

3. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I would like to try the EV too at some point. But it is too heavy for the H-clamp. Max for the H is 0.5Kg. The RE20 is 737 g.

I just read where John Clayton (currently) uses one too for live stuff. I've always absolutely loved his sound and his playing.

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Regarding mic placement, do you have an H-clamp? Or have you tried a mic stand?

5. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    I've always considered the H-clamp an ugly piece of kit. When I started playing bass there were no decent pickups, only 'contact mics' so I used a Reslo ribbon mic on a stand. It worked OK for the time so I've resolved when I get a decent mic I'll put it on a low boom stand. OK, it's another piece of kit to transport but how long is a gig, min two hours? so IMO it's worth it.

6. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I can understand that. But I don't mind the appearance of the H-clamp that much. Or I guess I should say I am used to it now. :)

I am very used to, almost dependent on, what a mic does for my sound. The H does what I want to do with the mic extremely well - provides versatility in terms of placement, and consistency in terms of the mic's placement relative to the bass. I've said before, as soon as I start to play, I hope what I'm doing is compelling enough that people aren't looking around staring at my H-clamp and amp and the ceiling and such. Now if they glance at the flat screen TV over the bar, well I can understand that.

7. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    i was hoping to use the Re20 on a H-Clamp, but i fear that it may be too cumbersome for it. ive email the guys that make it, hopefully theyll give me an answer either way.

I really liked it when it was used on a recording the other day. I like the Schertler DYN-B, but all its done is whet my appetite for a mic...

I dont know how i can use it in live situations, with bleed and feedback etc. But i figure its worth a shot.

8. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    Have you read the posts on the Vektor? Might be a happy compromise.

9. gcordez

gcordez

Jul 14, 2008
    Bristol,UK
    have you got a Vektor?

what they like? ive been reading a bit about 'em. they sound potentially very good. my DYN-B sounds great at quiet volumes, but it really loses its mojo when i have to crank it...

10. Roger Davis

Roger Davis

May 24, 2006
    England
    No I haven't but there is a post going that sings its praises, including one guy who prefers a Vektor over his DYN-B. I'm going to wait until I see a few more opinions then make my mind up, rather than acquiring another pickup that may/may not be consigned to the 'not used' drawer. The old Vektor required intrusive bridge surgery but the new one appears to be a simple screw-on job. The only problem seems to be the need for a 9v phantom power source which can be provided by a Vektor preamp. I'm not sure why this is perceived as inconvenient. If the sound is good that inconvenience should be a small price to pay. I thnk it's a case of 'watch this space'.