1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever been told!!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by BPotyk, Apr 11, 2006.

1. I am in the process of putting a new project together doing modern rock. Every one so far in the group has never played together but we are all in other bands. Well after about the 4th or 5th get together the guitarist calls and tells me our tones might not be compatible. Also I was told my bass tone makes his guitar sound weak as where with his regular band he has a full tone. I've just never heard of the bass making a guitar sound weak. I'm sure it was just the room we were in but has anyone else ever been told something like this?

2. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Yeah.
    Try searching for threads on EQ settings - lots of good info.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I think my response would have been, "Good luck finding a guitar tone that works, then."

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    +1.

5. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Yeah...uh...EQ for the guitarist right. Seems that's like tommy Boy asking..."Richard, does this tie make me look fat?"

6. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    His tone, or lack of shouldn't be dependent on what your tone is. I don't know how many geetarists I've played with over the years who spend half the practice time trying to find a useable tone. Any decent musician should be able to dial in a useable tone regardless of rooms, other instruments, etc....May not be the best tone, but usable for the situation.

Just my $0.02

7. barthanatos

barthanatos Insert witty comment here

Feb 8, 2006
    South Carolina
    Sorry I didn't make myself clear, I didn't mean it that way. Understanding EQ in general should enable our fella to adjust the guitar player's amp to not sound like monkey-poo.

Seriously though, work together. Different combinations of instruments with different setting can definitely affect how they impact each other's perceived sound. And why not EQ for the guitarist? He's a part of the band's sound. I want the band to sound good.

As for the change in sound due to the room, one way you can deal with this is by getting a dbx DriveRack, which auto-EQs the PA to the room using a reference signal and calibrated microphone. I don't have any experience with it myself, but it seems pretty sweet.

8. naja

naja

Oct 14, 2005
    East TN
    Yea, I want the band to sound good too.... but the original poster only mentioned the guitarist having a problem with his tone. That kinda tells me that the guitarist is probably not interested in the band's sound as much as he is in his sound, and that's why I gave the advice I did.

Personally, I always try and suit my tone to the character of the singer first and everyone else second.

9. all i can say is what do you tell a guitar player that has 2 black eyes

nothing you already told him twice

10. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Goodness, I've never heard such a thing! He's full of it. You cannot possibly be affecting his tone. Its the room.

Cherie

11. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

At first I thought that he was full of it. Maybe just an excuse to get out of the band. On second thought, what's your sound like. I've heard bands where the bassist tries to get the most midrange and treble with little to no bass. Then yes, it would conflict with the guitar. This is just one example.

Just ask him if he's into the project, have the two of you get together with one or two other people who's opinion on sound you respect, and see if you can work it out.

It might just work, or he may say he doesn't think it will work. If he says that, he wasn't interested in the project. Either way, you can move on.

12. Thanks for the insight everyone. Actually I think the project is falling apart. The guitarist and drums are both from the more modern edge school as where I'm from the classic rock/country side. We have been trying out singers using a variety of tunes.The bands they are in use alot of sequencing. My band is your standard classic rock setup( 2 geetars,bass, keys and drums)
    My tone is what you would call your classic jazz bass.

I guess it's just different strokes for different folks. Chalk it up to a learning experience and consider myself very lucky to have my current band.

Take Care,
    B

13. I think a lot of guitar players are deeply in love with their fundamental frequencies, which I think are right in the same range as the jazz bass growl.

14. The guitar tone that sounds killer when he's all by himself doesn't sound so good with a bass. Ever play with a guitar player with the low end cranked? :eyebrow:

That might be what's going on. He's not used to hearing his bass player (small bass combo vs 100w marshall stack). He hears you covering up his "marvelous low end". :spit:

What exactly does he expect YOU to do about HIS tone, anyway? :help:

Randy

15. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder encridublee smatr

Nov 22, 2004
    Huntington Beach, CA
    My guitar player always has his fat home practice tone going. Walks all over the bass frequencies with his Marshalls. Very common. We played the other night and he ran through a 30 watt Vox combo. No way was he gonna be able to muddy up the frequencies. Sweetest sound we've ever had. He filled the highs. vocals filled the high/mids, I filled the low/mids and drummers kick was way at the bottom. This is how it always should be.

16. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Sounds like a buttsucka to me. He probably couldnt hear the bassist in the last band and therefore thought his tone was kicking.

Just work out an EQ. It might be the room you are practicing in.

17. Last gig we played, was in a really wierd room. LOTS of echo. Before the crowd filled the room, the guitar was way to loud, after the room was full, it couldnt be heard over my bass. Did some EQing before the next set (cranking up the guitar), after that it went like a charm.

The room you are in has a lot to say about how your band is going to sound.