1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever buy duplicates?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by watspan, Apr 19, 2006.

1. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Does anybody ever buy a second (cab, head, bass etc.) item identical to one they already own? I just picked up a second ampeg pr1528he cab from ebay because I like the first one I have and the price was good ($240) I don't need it, but I guess I can't pass up what I perceive as a "Bargain" I also have 2 AMP BH-420's ( plus a bh-250)and 3 Reverend Rumblefishes!!:help:

Is this how Tom Bowlus started:D (plus my bedroom growing up at my Mom's house still has the Identical Candy Stripe carpet):eek:
    Watspan

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I cant pass up a bargain, and I kinda like matched pairs of gear too. (cabs/Mics/pre and power-amps/cords).
    In my SWR days, I bought and used, 2nd Goliath II and bass monitor 12 cabs.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I had two Stingrays once. They were different colors.

I almost bought a backup GK head, then I realized that that was redundant. You don't need backups for GK :)

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I frequently hold gear in two's. It makes lots of sense.

I don't like having two basses at a gig but having them be different. When I have a back up bass, it's identical to the main one. I guess I'm not one for as much variety, but instead I choose comfort/security.
    [Probably has something to do with my lack of talent. ;) ]

I used to gig with an upgraded SX Jazz bass. But as some know, I had an identical pair.

If I ever move from a loud bar rock situation to a quieter restaurant / acoustic / or jazz situation, I'll probably dump my big rig and buy a duplicate of my little Bassman 150. I'll use one in very small settings, and two in larger settings.

5. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    When I was looking for a 2x10" cab the local session guy had got 2 identical ev loaded cabs custom made, but they didn't fit in has car! The sound was as good as the price, so I grabbed them both. It's nice to be able to mix and match them.

I also couldn't pass up another bass almost identical to my main bass - it was just too cool not to buy it. It sat around for a year or so not doing much, but my new band tunes to Eb, so the "second" bass is now my main giging bass while the original remains at concert pitch for practicing.

I can never get rid of anything, and if I think something is cool I'll probably want another one of them!

Ian

6. watspan

watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Me too! I've found if you dump something you wind up wanting it again some time down the line and usually pay more or can't find it again!!!

7. I have three PLX power amps, plus multiple copies of the same EQ and Crossover. Not only are they spares, but each gets used elsewhere when needed.

8. jwsamuel

jwsamuel

Apr 26, 2004
    I've never done it because I don't gig, but it makes sense that if you make money from your equipment, duplicates are a good thing. If one breaks, just swap the second in and there is no adjustment period at all.

Jim

9. I'd buy another Sunn 4x10 to match the one I have, just for looks and stackability on the rare occasions I want or need that much amp. I haven't seen any available for a good price, so it hasn't happened yet.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I have two Fender RB5's. They were made in the same year, even. Sometimes I keep flats on one and rounds on the other, but right now they're both strung with rounds. Well... one's blue and the other's gold, so I guess they aren't exact duplicates. :p

I also have two rack rigs, each containing a Stewart World 2.1 power amp. The preamps differ, but I usually sound like me regardless. It's nice to have two rack rigs, though. I keep one at a rehearsal location, and the other I take to gigs.

Bottom line: it's always good to have a backup. That backup doesn't have to be a duplicate, but there's nothing wrong with a duplicate as backup, and in fact there are certain advantages.

11. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I had a pair of SWR 2x10s. I used one for a while, then got the second when I added the 1x15 to it. Offed the second one when I realized that it was easy enough to just move one, while the other collected dust.
    Right now I have a pair of Mesa Powerhouse Jrs, but I bought them both at the same time.

12. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    My two main amps are similar, but not the same. Sunn 200s (2X6550's) and a Sunn 2000s(4X6550's). Either one can sub for the other if need be. In the recent past my old Fender "P" was backed up by an SX "P" clone. Now that the Fender has been put out to pasture, and the SX is number one... I'll be getting another SX "P" to back that one up.

13. I have 2 MM5 basses. I bought the first 1 new in 1993 and played it everywhere. In 2004, the band I was in co-hosted the blues jam in town for awhile, and I wanted another 5 string bass that I wasn't worried about getting knocked off of it's stand when jammers were onstage. I played all kinds of basses in the < $1000 price range, and didn't like anything as well as my MM5, so I bought another, MM5 (used).

14. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    I am having trouble with this as well. I have my Ampeg SVT II Pro and just sold my crummy hartke cab stack and my WorkingPro 700 head.
    I have 1 SWR WorkingPro 4x10 cab and am debating if I should get another SWR WorkingPro 4x10 or get myself an Ampeg 6x10 or two Ampeg 4x10 cabs...

15. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    Oh yeah ... not always exactly the same but I do have two older Goliath IIs 4x10 cabs ... and two basses the same (different colors) Ibanez ATK-USA basses, my main gigging bass ... I always carry two ... and a backup head always, a GK 400RB III ... I've seen it too many times SOMETHING is going to go south when you least expect it! ...

16. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I used to have 2 identical Polytone Pro amps and cabinets and for bigger gigs, I used them both. I sold one and now use a Hartke 5000 and Avatar 2x10 + 1x15 for the louder gigs and the poly pro (which has a 15 + 2x8 cabinet) for smaller gigs. I've also used my Fender Champo for coffeehouse gigs.

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    You don't know the half of it... :D

18. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    but my 410 is pretty cool looking w/ my old 21012...

19. I have two Roscoe Beck 5 basses as well.

One of the RB5's is shoreline gold the other is sunburst. I had three RB5's at one time and foolishly traded all three for a 5 string neckthrough Pedulla Thunderbass. I have only been able to recover the two, minus the Thunderbass.

I have two Ampeg SVT 4 Pro's. One is the newer looking amp and the other is an older looking amp with the cool blue letters.

I had two Ampeg B2 combos, but I decided to let one of the go. So now I have 2 combos but different brands, I found a Peavey Tmax with a 15 black widow that sounds great with my passive bass. The Tmax has as a tube preamp and solid state preamp that can be blended together.

Now I'm looking for two rack tuners to replace my two Sabine 1601's. They take too long to tune in while I'm playing live, but otherwise pretty neat.