Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever hear of a 1 string bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by After Forever, Dec 2, 2003.

1. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    I went to a Primus concert and that dude whipped out some wierd looking and sounding 1 string bass like instrument with a bar on the top he would pull down as he played it with a violin bow. Anyone know what this is? Does anyone else actually play one of these or is it something odd?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Atlansia of Japan makes a 1 string bass called the Solitaire.

3. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Like one of those broom stick/washtub basses?

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It's called Whamola, I think. Some fans made it for him, and dropped it off at his hotel.

5. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    A 1 string bass makes sense.

I have seen a number of local bands where the bassist only uses the first string.
    Some of the guitarists for the same bands only use the first 3 strings with just bar chords.

Maybe someone could get rich by marketing 3 string guitars tuned D-A-D and 1 string basses.

6. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    This is corect.

To after forever - Les does not play the Whamola with a bow - the Whamola is played by hitting the string with a drum stick to strike a note and the lever on top is basically a tremelo that is usd to change the pitch.

7. It's a simple pulley.

Pretty damned cool, I saw him play it in detroit recently. :D

He stuck it in the crowd and let some dude mess with the pulley... Too cool, man.

8. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    i was at the show in detroit as well, it was crazy, he stuck that whamola thing like 5 feet from me.

9. Speaking of alternate ways to string basses, I don't see why baritone guitars aren't popular. They're trés underrated as instruments. I mean, REAL chords on a bass...what's not to like?

10. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    that thing is definitly sweet, is there any play i can buy one of those?