Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Excellent Jeff Berlin Trio Video

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sedgdog, Apr 10, 2004.

1. hvacfreak

hvacfreak

Feb 12, 2004
    The first piece , " Bach " , I've been playing that like since 1986 or so. Jeff Berlin is the most extreme player I can think of , thank you for the link to that. Berlin , Sheehan , Lee , my greatness list.

2. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    man, this is great! I watched the whole movie, very inspiring to see Jeff berlin play. I have one cd (the two old solo albums released on one cd) of him but never saw him play.
    He plays so effortlessly, you can see that he is one of the true masters of the bass. You can see that he knows a TON about harmony and chords, just see him play that "jazz"solo and you know what I mean.

3. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I have his "instructional" video (he really just plays some of his songs), and he is without a doubt, one of the most amazing players alive today. Thanks for the link.

Oh yeah, big props to the dude on the upright- he kills.

4. he looks bored.

5. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    whose the guy on the upright does anyone know?

6. Arjan

Arjan

Apr 18, 2002
    The guy on the upright is Miroslav Vitous, he also did play in Weather Report.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Great stuff.
    Jeff is one of my all time favs.
    A true master.

8. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Yeah, he always makes odd faces. In the instructional video Rowdy Roddy Piper (no clue why JEff decided to have him in the video) said, "If I play bass, do I have to make stupid faces like you?"

9. you told me this on AIM :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

10. Anyone got the tab for the first song he did?

11. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I posted this before though- I thouhgt you weren't going to check the thread.

I hate you.

12. <3

13. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    :spit:

14. A SUbway to venus!

15. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    Hi!

I don't have any TAB for the Bach piece, but if you read standard notation, I can scan and email you a copy fo the music.

Frode

16. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    I saw Berlin in Oslo a few months back.
    It was with Ernie Watts and a well known drummer I can't remember.

They played standards like "Solar", rythm changes, some blues etc. Quite uninspired actually, and the wierd part was that the dynamics were so flat.

Fun to listen to his chorused bass for the first solo, but rythmically and dynamically it got boring fast.

Sure, he's got good technique, and knows his scales and chords, but one also has to communicate with the audience in a live situation.
    Looking "bored" as one poster put it turns many people off...

I used to be such a fan, but I must say that a few of mr Berlin's rants in BP magazine a few years back made me a bit suspicious....

By the way, Danny Gottlieb who played drums on the italian video clip rules!
    I made two records with him a few years back, and did a couple of tours. What a guy! Now theres a dynamic musician!

Oh well....

Frode Berg

17. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I will take a copy of that please! My e-mail is basslessonscheap@hotmail.com

18. hateater

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Is Jeff playing the bass part or the treble clef part?

19. frodebass

frodebass

Apr 11, 2004
    Norway
    He's playing the bass part up an octave.
    But the long arpegio thing that starts on the low G on page 2 is done as written.
    After this, Jeff has arranged the piece so it modulates to a minor. This is Berlin's arrangment and is not in the written music, which is the original prelude from "Wohltemperierte klavier" by Bach.

Good luck!

Frode