Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Excuse me, but what is the difference between sus4 and...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by MicceO, Dec 22, 2004.

1. MicceO

MicceO

Aug 12, 2004
  2. jeff schmidt

jeff schmidt no longer red carded, but my butt is still sore.

Aug 27, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Perfect 4th is an interval between two notes and sus4 is a chord voiced in a way so the 4th doesn't sound like an "avoid" note.

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    The fourth is "suspended" and wants to resolve to the major third. You'll also see sus 2 chords which also want to move to the major third.

See any Byrds song for reference.

4. MicceO

MicceO

Aug 12, 2004
    Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid I'm even a bit more confused (but that's only because of my limited knowledge of theory)

So, perhaps I try to be more precise and tell the backround of this question.

I have a Fowler fingerboard book and there was a picture of a fingerboard where there was: root, m3, M3, sus4, d5, P5 and a5. This was the starting point where he started to explain something that I've not read yet.

So, I was surprised to see sus4 next door to R, as I've always thought it's P4 who resides there!

Any comments on Fowler's books?

:)

5. ...I am not familiar with the Fowler books...but it sound like it is showing how arpeggios(chords)are built.
    To answer your question simply,a sus4 is a type of chord,while a p4(perfect4) is an interval(distance between 2 notes)...4ths,5ths and 8ths(octave) are called perfect because the do not determine major or minor tonality.

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Without seeing the book, my guess is that the author made a mistake. In using the terms m3, M3, d5, etc. he's using the language of *intervals*, but sus4 is a term from the language of *chords*. To be consistent and stay with the language of intervals, I think he probably should have said P4.

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have to agree. It's a typo.

8. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Why do sus2 chords resolve / "want to move" to the third ?

The interval between the 2nd and the 1st is the same as from the 2nd to the third .

9. MicceO

MicceO

Aug 12, 2004
    Ok, I see. Sus4 refers to something else than intervals. So I won't let that confuse my head when learning intervals.

Thank you all for your responses, and Merry Xmas!

MicceO :cool:

10. Good idea!You will learn all about suspended chords later on...