1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Exercise sticky

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pacman, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Ok here goes,..

So this ex is unashamedly basic, Rock and with a pick

Slow tempo:
    1) open e played on quarter notes down stoke and even tone and volume

Repeat many times and Same on all other open strings (SLOW and EVEN)

2) open e played on eight note
    Down up down up etc

Even tone on all notes and same comments as in 1. Slow even etc

3) same as all of 1 and 2 but accent first beat of each bar and all other beats quieter but even etc

4) same as above but accent 2nd beat etc

5) accent every third beat etc and then 4th beat etc

This ensures picking for accents on up and down beats and that basic consistency in tone from right hand is developed

Speed from the outset is a secondary issue and the focus remains on execution.

Try to extend right hand fingers that are not holding the pick and avoid bumping strings with any part of right hand apart from pick. Right hand relaxed at all times!!

Let open notes ring and listen to rhythm and sound

Adjust your pick placement and attack until you find a sweet spot that feels comfortable and sounds good to your ear...

Be patient and

After a while the feel, the beat and the groove starts to kick in

Other exercises include

Raking all down strokes across all strings or as up strokes,

part raking down, up stroke and complete the rake etc etc

Muting with the pick on either the down or up stroke

Just some basic routines for anyone starting out or for anyone like me that finds it refreshing to go back from time to time and keep building on the basics...

Speed them up when it's coming together but always aim for the consistency on tone and control on volumes between accented and non accented notes.

Once it's coming together you should be able to stay comfortably on the patterns or variations of them without much effort.

At which point we gain some fundamental control over the bass and drummers will want to groove with you because the basics are nice and strong.

2. Phil Hendren

Phil Hendren

Dec 4, 2011
    what about Index finger on your plucking hand.. I get pain in the last joint of my right hand index finger and on the side of it.. I use alternate plucking index, middle but only the index gets sore...I think using a mouse alot during the day contributes to it also.. Any thoughts? Stretching exercises for plucking hand ?

3. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    I favor right hand exercises using floating thumb technique while using the left hand to touch the harmonics at the 7th fret. I pair this with a metronome, working on different subdivisions. I also do lots of single string scales, and arpeggios all the way up and down the neck. On fretless these are critical. I use an app called Tunable for these to set s drone as a pitch reference.

4. Five String

Five String Supporting Member

Subd

5. One of my favorite exercises and warm-ups before playing is a fun one but a tricky one too, especially if you're not used to practicing the 1 finger per fret method. You simply start on G on the E string, (that's where I start, you can start wherever you want) and do a simple major triad, so you would play G with the middle finger, then B on the A string with the index finger, and then D on the A sting with the pinky. OK, that's Ionian, then you switch to Dorian where you play A with the pinky on the G string, C with the middle finger, and E with the index finger on the D string. You just continue playing triads through the modes until you end up at Ionian again. Then, and here's the tricky part (at least for me), do it all again but backwards. It's really gets the blood running through your fingers and stretches out all those tendons and lubes up the joints before playing. Plus, it's a great way to learn your modes!

Ewo, Felix1776 and Need Gigs like this.
  6. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Huntington WV
    Good one, Cap'n! As you say, it will help with fingerboard knowledge, as well. Just move it around through the keys.

7. I think that exercises work better if they are used in a harmonic environment, since you learn things that you can use in music and not just movements on the fretboard. I often use Ascending Descending patterns (going up and down) on four note arpeggios. For example I choose a key, let’s say, G major and I play G – B – D – F# and then I play the next chord which is Amin7, but I start from the higher note of the arpeggio, G – E – C – A. Then I play the next chord Bmin7, B – D – F# - A. And play the rest of the diatonic chords until I am out of notes only in one position.

So to put in order the exercise is like this:
    UP Gmaj7 (G – B – D – F#)
    DOWN Amin7 (G – E – C – A)
    UP Bmin7 (B – D – F# - A)
    DOWN Cmaj7 (B – G – E – C)
    UP D7 (D – F# - A – C)
    DOWN Emin7 (D – B – G – E)

Then I return from Emin7 and I go back to D7, Cmaj7, Bmin7, Amin7, Gmaj7.

Then I go to the next position on the fretboard and I start the same routine from Amin7. And I do it for all the positions and for all the chords. At the end of the exercise I have my fingers beautifully exercised but my mind also, since I have played all the chords of the diatonic harmony in all positions and in both Ascending Descending patterns!

Attached Files:

Florinda4 and NigelD like this.
  8. braindead0

braindead0

Feb 7, 2004
    Reno, NV
    Good stuff, thanks everyone for the contributions...

6 pages of EXERCISES and nobody pointed out the thread title is misspelled ;-).. might help show up in searches if that were corrected...