Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Exercise

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Nov 10, 2003.

1. no exercise at all

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  2. infreqent light - moderate

18 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. regular intense workouts

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  4. hard core - I am an animal!

6 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I was curious what percentage of TB'ers work out regularly, and what type of routine you do. I run 3 miles about 3 times a week and lift about 3 times a week for about 30 mins.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I went through a period when I was going to the gym every day. I just had a lot of time. I'd do 60(!) minutes of cardio, 20 mins on a bike, then 20 on the treadmill and the last 20 on the stairmaster. On days I didn't do all the cardio, I'll do some weight training, just going through the program really. There are no freeweights at my gym so we're all using exercise machines...

I have been going weekly but some time's freed up again, so I'll be a frequent customer one more time.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I lift(curls, 15-35 lbs usually), play soccer,(pick-up games) and do wing chun tendon work outs.(specifically, upper body, arms, wrists and hands)

4. i lift three days a week, upper body, lower body and back rotating, and i try to run everyday except for the leg workout day

5. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I try to do every muscle in my upper body, monday-wednesday-friday, and lower, tuesday-and-thursday.
    For upper I do curls (40lbs usually), and bench, with the dumbells about 65lbs per arm. But when wrestling starts, i'll stop that and run 2 miles for a warmup :eek: :bawl:

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Just nbow I'm running about 2 - 4 miles 2 or 3 times per week. I also do pressups and ab work at about the same time.

I used to be a gym junkie, spending about 1 1/2 hours in the morning in the gym before work doing a mix of cardio and upper body weights, and cardio and lower body weights - I miss being able to do that, and remember being fairly fit once!

I'm also looking to take up Karate again, as a means of getting/keeping fit again. It's been years since I trained but am really keen on getting back into it!

7. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I used to go to the gym and run 2-3 miles on a weekly basis and I played alot of football(soccer) but I've since stopped. I just eat alot these days.

8. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I do weight training about 4 times a week and usually run 2 miles a day.

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I don't do much in the way of focussed exercising but I do often make a choice to walk instead of drive or use the stairs instead of the lift, etc.

Wulf

10. I sit on the computer chair and move my fingers :)

11. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    infreqent light - moderate
    I run about 4 - 5 kilometres 4 times a week..

12. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    i guess I'm pretty hardcore. just got back from a 6 mile run :D . it's the most i've ever done though.

i work out intensely for about an hour and a half 3 to 4 days a week, and run about 15-20 miles a week.

became super committed 2 and a half years ago when i, a. saw a picture of a shirtless scott wylan and said, damn, i wanna look like that. and b. looked in a mirror and saw that i actually was headed more towards looking like... hmmm, can't think of anyone. you know, a fat dumpy bass player. had the spare tire, flabby biceps... didn't like the picture. i was also getting really winded on stage after jumping around for about 15 minutes. i'm happy to say i've surpassed my goals. i feel great and i love the way i look. not sure if this will help motivate anyone or just sound lame, shallow, and egotistical, but i'm gonna spit it out anyhow. i noticed that there is a huge difference between the way a woman touches me now, and the way they touched me 3 years ago. then it was to make me feel good, now it's to make them feel good - if that makes any sense, and i gotta say i kinda dig that. a lot.

last note. the hardest thing for me in my past efforts to get into shape was to stay motivated and stick with it. i've learned this time to keep my workouts fun and make sure i enjoy them. on days i'd rather stick needles in my eyes than go to the gym, i go anyway - but commit to practicing form. i start out using half (or less) the weight i normally use, and really concentrate on perfect form, flexing whatever muscle i'm working throughout the exercise. it almost always winds up being a great (heavy) workout by the time i'm warmed up, and if not, i never beat on myself anymore. don't beat myself up for time off either. i know know i'm gonna get back to it and i know it's good to rest.

13. I do cardio for 40 min. followed by 2 hrs free weights, 3-5 times a week. I have arthritis, and if I don't work out regularly, everything refuses to move. It's true, use it or lose it.

John

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I play tennis for 3 hours on tuesdays and fridays.

15. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Gym once a week, free weights at home 2 or 3 times a week, heavy bag session (boxing) irregularly, 2 hours of kendo once or twice a week and riding my new bike everywhere I can :)

16. Just started doing resistance training about 3 months ago, gained 15 lbs of muscle so far!

I have a 4 day split for the gym,
    Chest, Triceps, Abs - Sunday
    Biceps, Back - Mondays
    Delts, Traps - Wednsdays
    Legs - Fridays

So I'd say im medium hardcore.

A pretty good forum to get some info on this stuff, though a bit sluggish is http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/

17. My usual routine now is to go swinging on the traveling rings on Santa Monica beach once a week, but it looks like next semester I might up it to twice a week, since I'll likely have Tuesdays and Fridays free. :D:p

Aside from that, I have a pullup bar in my bedroom doorway and I use it mostly when I'm walking from...er...my room into the living room, or the living room into my room. :p

I've also started doing some hanging situps on that thing out of boredom and wondering if I could actually do them.

18. tdempsey

tdempsey

Oct 7, 2003
    New City, NY
    yes, yoga.

turned to it when I developed hand/finger pain, and read that both Stu Hamm and Billy Sheehan took it up for the same reason.

works wonders, since i don't have as much time for long workouts as I used to.

tim@dempseystudio.com
    www.dempseystudio.com

19. I go three days a week. I do chest and back on Mon. Legs and abs on Tues. And arms on Thursday. I've been doing the German Volume Training Method, it saves a lot of time from having to go to the gym everyday. Oh, and I also work at UPS so I get a nice workout there. Anyone who has worked there should know what I mean.