Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Exercises for 6 String

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by td1368, Dec 26, 2004.

1. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    I have been working out of a site reading book of cello studies. The studies actually have notation for the low c and low d on the B string.

So I was looking at affordable 5 strings but got a great deal on a used Carvin 6 string. Great instrument.

Anyone have any suggestions for material that would cover the extended range. I typically try to work on arrpeggios in different key signature, site reading and time studies. So I am applying those ides on an extendeed range.

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions? I am thinking about the Bach studies for electric bass.

2. 3 octave scales would be a good start.

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    4 octave would be even better.

Check out John Patitucci's 2nd Video "Electric Bass 2" it deals with improv skills and predominantly the 6 string bass. It should help you along quite well.

4. ...sorry...4 octave...in all 12 keys.Also,playing scale in 3rds,4ths,5ths,ect...Arpeggios...you probably get the picture...

5. I have a few exercises posted on my website that work for me, but not everything works for everyone. one really nice exercise is to play arpeggios in 6, 7, and 8 note clusters and to play them one way ascending and another when descending. do this with as many scales as possible.

from the lows,

Stew

6. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Thanks Stew, Your website was helpful. Anybody thinking about an extended range bass should definitely check out your lessons section.

It is definitely very exciting and daunting at the same time to go to multi-string instruments. It's funny I have picked up other 5 and six string basses and didn't really care for them but I had a definite connection with the Carvin six string when I picked it up. I only had that happen one other time with a Peavey Cirrus six string.

By the way Stew that Conklin 10 string is nuts. Can an electric harp be far away?

7. hey td1368,

I'm glad there was some stuff you could use. I'll be home from tour in about a month. if you want to email me then, I'll hook you up with some more exercises. another cat to check out (although I don't think there are exercises on his site... yet) is Yves Carbonne, a French monster. he's a good friend and a teacher.

as to the 10 string, well, I'm learning new ways to play and developing a whole extended array of muting techniques. nothing like the road to force you to grow! with the band I'm using the ultra lows more than the highs, but it will make some ear-opening contributions to my upcoming solo album.

stay well and stay in touch!

from the lows,

Stew

8. Dynna

Dynna

Oct 23, 2004
    One of the things that I'm working on is playing not only extended range chords, but playing regular 4 string chords in different octaves. Go through your regular Maj7, 7, min 7, and dim chords but drop the bass note an octave. then you can start playing some swinging arps underneath the chord on top.

Example:(swing 8ths)
    __11__11___11___11___11__11___11__11___
    __10__10___10___10___10__10___10__10___

__10__10__10__10__10__10__9__10__
    ___9___9___9___9___9___9__8___9__

Alternate these two sections. You can also omit every second chord on top and just let the ones you play ring out instead.

Some extended voicings(from "Gee Baby Ain't I Good to You")

C7--Ab7--G7#11--C9--F7b9--Bb7#11--Eb13(no 7)
    10--12----13-----14---15-----16------17--
    9---11----10-----15---17-----19------17--
    *---*-----*------14---16-----18------17--
    *---11----10-----*----*------*-------*---
    8---*-----*------*----13-----18------*---
    *---*-----*------13---*------*-------16--