1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Experience with an Eden D115?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Jun 16, 2007.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I like the sound of 15s.

Anyone use a Eden D115 as a Standalone Cab?

What are the sonic characteristics? Lots of low-end, low-middy etc?
    [/FONT]

2. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    My D115XLT is very round sounding. I love it as a bottom to my 4x10, but without a rather clear/hi-fi head (I use tubes) it might be too undefined for you to use as a solo cab.

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The D-115 (not the D-115XLT) is one of my favorite 15's. The use of a lower wattage driver gives it a different tone than the XLT, a tone that is smoother and more vintage sounding. Overall, a very pleasant cab for old-school fingerstyle. A pair of them would be sooo nice, imo.

It has ample low end, much more than the smaller Bag End or Bergantino. Overall it is a smooth cab with no real peaks in the lows or low mids, and no boominess. I suppose the tweeter (on the D-115T) could be upgraded to something more modern, but the tweeterless D-115 is fine as it is.

I am sure there are those who do not like them - they are only 200W and aren't meant to be thrashed.

They are worth about $300 used.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Thanks for the replies!

If its rated for 200w what is the limit to what they can take? I read somewhere that a cab can handle 3x more than what its rated for, true?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I have a D-115XL. I hate fifteens, but I need mine as a stand for the D-210XLT in my practice room.

Attached Files:

kavallero and sludgetail like this.
  6. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    The rule of thumb is to use an amp that is rated at 1.5 to 2 times the power of the cab. Of course, if you try to push 400 watts through the cab and pound a 5-string, you risk burning it out...

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The D-115, D-210T, and D-410T are my favorite eden cabs. They sound so sweet! The D115 would be a great standalone for a low to moderate volume gig. One 200 watt 15" will only put out so much sound, but the sound you get will be balanced, warm, smooth, and fat. What more could you want?

The D-115XLT is much louder, but doesn't have as good of a tone IMHO.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Balanced warm, smooth and fat... that's exactly what I want. I tried out a few different 15s at my rehearsal space and I realized how much I like that big driver. For kicks, I hooked all three to my b800 at once... oh mercy!

My only concern is that the open E isnt going to be muddy or "lost". I only play 4 string, but alot of our songs utilize the open E.

9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I used one a number of times in a large rehearsal room driven by an Eden head of about 500 watts (I think) most of the time and a GK 800 RB head the others. That was with a moderately loud R and B band with Hammond organ, guitar, drums, bass and 3 horns and a vocalist.

For that and for smallish rooms with that band it was adequate. It wasn't the most articulate cabinet, but for that vintage R and B sound it was fine. It could handle the low E okay as long as you didn't go crazy on it and didn't boost the bass or crank the "enhance" or "contour" feature. All in all not bad, but I preferred my Yorkville sound 1X15s better. They did as well on the lows and were a little brighter where you needed it, so you could distinguish pitches better. The Yorkville was a lot less money and a few pounds lighter.

I too like the sound of 15s.

10. what brand of 15's were you listening to? As a standalone, I would consider Eden's d212xlt, or maybe a d112xlt (or two)...they give a better all around sound and are more articulate than 15's. They produce lows that are about what older 15's can do.
    My setup is an Eden D212XLT + D210XST and the combo can handle all the lows my SR4, PV Cirrus 5 and PV Cirrus 4 can produce as well as very articulate mids and highs!

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I had an Eden 115 and 2x10T for about nine years and used them in many different situations. My amp for most of that time was a GK 800RB and it really was a nice setup. The 115 was a gorgeous sounding warm cab that really allowed the 210 to shine. each cab was a little lacking on their own, but together, they made a very well balanced rig.

But I have to say, when playing fretless, I much preferred the 115 by itself without the 210. This was the best sounding cab for fretless bass!!! Tons of growl.

I ended up trading my 115 for an Ampeg 112 cab as I was looking for a small portable cab.

I traded in the 210 on a brand new SVT810E last year which is my new favorite.

But I will always have very fond memories of that eden combo.

By the way, the person that has my 115 now absolutely loves it as it puts out a lot of sound for such a lightweight cab. he uses it with a Phil Jones briefcase on top.

If you can find one, grab it! You wont be disappointed.

12. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    [sarcasm] Haven't you heard? Eden sucks!!! Get a Genz-Benz or a Markbass!!! [/sarcasm]

:bag:

13. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada

14. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Just for grins I put a Eminence Kappa Pro LF 15 into my Eden D115 cab. The stock speaker sounds fine I just thought it would be nice to drop the Eminence Kappa Pro LF 15 in as the one I have is 4 ohms and it will get the max watts out of my head(s).

Man, it sounds fantastic! The Eminence Kappa Pro LF 15 is a fairly heavy driver at about 20LBs for the driver alone. Compared to the 11LB eden driver it has a MUCH bigger magnet. I'm guessing that's got something to do with the noticeable increase in low-end reproduction. It increases the cab weight by about 9 LBS but the tone improvement is worth it. The eden cab box is fairly large... its a little bigger than my UL310 box which is 23" H x 21.5" W x 16.5 " D.

I want to drive this Kappa D115 with my UL310 powered by my carvin b800 and see what that sounds like. Should be great.

15. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004

16. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    It truly is in excellent condition for being 9 years old. Apparently Wayne is selling Cadillacs now.

17. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I got one of the first 115XLTs made and it was about 20lbs over spec. Felt like solid lead, and sounded incredible. I think it had a heavy third party speaker in it since the reason for the delays on the XLT is they were having trouble getting the driver built.

I later got a second XLT with the stock driver and it never quite lived up. It was nice and light though :rollno:

18. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    Cadillacs eh? sweet.

19. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I replaced my old Ampeg SVT 810 cab awhile back with a ....(GASP!!!!).....Eden 215 XLT. One of the best all round bass cabs I've ever played.
    If you like one 15", you need to try two. The newer 215 cabs with horns sound great.

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Seems like a fairly forgiving cab. I bought one a few years ago with a blown 15. I was looking for mid volume 1x15 cabs that might work with some JBL 15's I had lying around. The D115 was a great host cab for a D140. Really a nice sounding cab. I was planning on cloning the cab I ended up picking. Out of the bunch I tried, The Eden was the hands down winner. With a Bag End 2x10 on to it was schweet!

Then it came time to do the cloning. oh man the bracing in there... that was going to be a PITA to reproduce so I passed on that experience. Still a great sounding cab.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021