1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Experiences with Mayones Caledonius?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fastolf, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Hi guys,

I'm GASing for the Mayones Caledonius 5 Classic but I can't try it here in Switzerland (one local dealer, it's an order-only model).
    http://www.mayones.com/en/katalog/cs_limited/caledonius
    There's very little on youtube and on the forums.

- Any experiences with this one?
    - What is the neck like?
    - How do these Bartolinis sound with the stock preamp?

I currently play a Stingray Classic, Am Dlx Jazz 2011 and a Sandberg Basic Ken Taylor 5 (delano PUs).

Thanks and all best from Switzerland!
    B

2. never heard of them but I think you are closer to them than most of TB members, hopefully somebody did try them out :D I drove a couple of times from New Orleans to El Paso, and that's almost twice the distance between Switzerland and Poland :D

3. bjelkeman

bjelkeman Bass player wannabe Supporting Member

May 9, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden
  4. eloann

eloann

May 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Hi

Can't say anything about the Caledonious but I used to have a Patriot with bartolini and an aguilar preamp. Nice bass, modern sounding but sweeter than with EMGs. The neck's on the thin side, somewhat comparable to a modern jazz bass profile. It's heavy.

The friend I sold it to still plays it lovingly to this day. If you're passing through Geneva and would like to try it, drop me a PM and I'll try to arrange that.
    I also have a Fame Baphomet NTB4 (basically a Warwick knockoff manufactured by Mayones for musicstore) - its neck is MUCH fatter.