1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Explain me the 'Fender is God' thing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Drunk Heffalump, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drunk Heffalump

Drunk Heffalump Tone that I have. Skill? Oh, that? Well....

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    I've been poking around music stores in search for the ultimate 5 string, and everywhere I go somebody, be it hired help or just interested parties is trying to jam some Fender or another down my throat. Just so's you know, I only looked at the higher end models, so no Squires. Sorry, give me made here or go away, anyway, under the 'bang for your buck' in looks, finish, playability,weight I find they're wanting, not to mention the damn things eat up a lot of real estate. So someone explain why all the hype? Or has Uncle Leo worked the hoodoo on you too?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Buy one.

You'll understand.

3. Not trying to be rude or anything, but how could you not understand why Fenders are so popular?

4. If you have to ask then you wouldn't understand. Which is the same answer I give people that ask why I ride Motorcycles when they are so dangerous. :rolleyes:

Seriously - buy whatever Bass YOU want - who cares what they are trying to sell or what anyone else thinks. If it Rocks your Boat then get it.

5. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I agree with the OP however, let people do their own thing. Wouldn't you appreciate it if the people at the store had? Next time, just say "No, I don't want a fender..." and they should leave you alone, if not don't give them your business.

6. Drunk Heffalump

Drunk Heffalump Tone that I have. Skill? Oh, that? Well....

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    Under bang for your buck, try Rickky's. Around here they're almost the same price, so...

7. Fender basses sit in the mix really well. If you prefer not to buy Fender, there are some good updates of the Fender sound like Sadowsky, Nash, and of course Lakland (the best in my opinion).

8. Mark4

Mark4

Oct 21, 2007
    In the beginning, Fender created the Precision and the Jazz... and they were good.

9. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I only play 4 stringers and Fenders (or clones) just feel right. Ive tried stingrays, ibanez, etc they just look funny to me. I had an Alvarez 5er for a while, it was a nice bass, but Ive never missed it.

Fenders are also nice because they barely seem to drop in value, especially if you buy them used. You can buy a MIM P or J for $250-350 and sell it 5 years later for the same price.

10. dmrogers

dmrogers Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2005
    Eastman, GA
    Yep!

I've tried, I just can't get away from the. To me, Fender IS bass. A Fender bass fits my playing style and allows me to get the sound I am looking for.

There is a reason so many people suggest Fender to potential buyers. They are solid, well built, good sounding and playing instruments. But I would suggest to you, buy what you want.

11. broadblik

broadblik

Aug 10, 2008
    Sheffield, UK
    They're not god.

They're affordable.
    Good basses for the buck.
    and theres bloody hundreds of them.

12. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008
    They aren't the be all and end all.....Just the start and the finish. Like the man said, if you have to ask...

I do own, and enjoy playing other basses, my Hofner, and old Peavey Foundation, some Danos and Dano made basses, but like I told a friend last night, if the house catches fire, I'm grabbing the 08 CS Jazz in one hand, the late 60's P bass in the other and running out the door. I'll come back for the Hofner, then the cats (lots of cats), then the original Beatles and Stones vinyl. Then if the damn FD hasn't shown up, and there isn't too much smoke and heat, I'll come back for the wife.

13. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Just quit complaining and go buy an Ibanez. ;)

Honestly 9 out of 10 basses have a Fender pickup configuration (P, P/J, J/J) and the Fender's have a signature sound that is the classic bass sound. Of course the Fender sound isn't for anyone, but it seems to fit most people well. The fact that most people play Fender (#2 bass maker in the world behind Ibanez now, although each company is geared toward different price ranges) means that most people are going to recommend what they know. Thats just common sense. I wouldn't recommend you drive a Porsche to race because I've never used one. However me and all my friends have driven Ford Mustangs, so we'll recommend you use those since they've worked so well for us.

I honestly don't get why people ask "what bass should I buy" because pretty much every bass I've bought, without playing it first, I've ended up selling. I'd say go to your local shops, browse the internet, see what people are playing. If any of those seem to interest you, then ask questions about the model. Not which bass you should buy.

Titling the thread Fender is God is sure to stir up some feelings. There are a lot better basses than Fender out there, and I'm a Fender owner. I've owned basses from tons of brands but I've kept the Fenders in my stable because they're what works for me.

There are plenty of 5 string configurations out there. I currently only own 2 fivers (Fender and a Squier) but my favorite five string bass, for me, was a Spector my friend owned.

14. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    If I were you, I'd make her carry stuff. Just tell her not to hurt herself carrying so much. She can make two trips.:D

15. I used to say I'd never own a Fender, then I drank the Kool-Aid.

16. rcarraher

rcarraher

Dec 21, 2008

Damn good idea!, why didn't I think of that? I've been to college......

17. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    OK, you don't get it. I don't get tattoos on women.

Others may have different feelings.

18. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    Well,

Fender was quite simply the first to hit the market....everything that has come after gets compared to the yardstick that is Fender....it's hard to fight 50 years of marketing and image

Producers and engineers know what they sound like and know what to expect from them as we have had 50 years worth of recordings to prove it....

that said i wouldn't use an IBM from the 1960's currently as that design has been seriously improved upon....now before you say i'm comparing apples and oranges i'm not....we have learned a lot about ergonomics, electronics, physics, acoustics, sound waves, etc. in that last 50 years....

I don't personally like Fenders as they were shoved down my throat in shool by our teacher....because to him there was nothing besides Ampeg and Fender.....

I don't like their necks or their look myself (with the exception of the Jazz and i don't like it's overall sound) when i was turned loose the first thing i did was to buy a B.C. Rich and a Hartke amp...(hey it was the 80's)

I have owned lots of basses over the years including many P's, J's, and PJ's, but I have never kept them long...even owned a few Stat guitars as well.....didn't keep them either...

My first reaction when i see a guy playing a Fender and an Ampeg amp in his back line is not a good first reaction....

but then again it's kind of like the Whole Sabbath argument....Without Sabbath no Metal.....

Without Fender......well you get the idea

however just because they were the first does not make them the best.....nor does it make them the worst...I simply believe that there are much better products out there for the money...

there are many many many bass companies out there....pick one that appeals to you if Fender doesn't and quit stirring up the sheep and the cattle....:D lol i jest (sort of)

19. Jefenator

Jefenator Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    It is not for you to question. :eyebrow:

Just Kidding!! :D

I can understand how some folks could be downright sick of the name. But IMO Leo Fender was an absolute genius. He pioneered not just one but over a dozen of the most enduring instrument AND amp designs for bass AND guitar - no way that's all just a fluke.

I'm madly in love most of the body styles - obviously that's very subjective. I think his technical designs endure, though, because he was so sensitive to the needs of working cats. (Of course these needs are also subjective, and there's been plenty of genuine innovators besides just Leo.) To me a Fender at its best embodies a piece that plays, amplifies and records well and is affordable to a working musician. And looks fantastic. ;)

Unfortunately, I've become so picky about action and tone, most Fender products don't do it for me anymore. The pieces that are affordable don't have the action, resonance, quality of electronics and durability of hardware that I require. Most of the new USA stuff feels slightly off to me. The Custom Shop stuff intrigues me but I've never had the dough handy yet, or tried a piece that insists: you WILL go in to debt for me!!

And of course, the real old-school stuff, i.e. the true holy grails, have become uber-collectible and are priced way way way out of my league. :crying:

One thing you should know about Fenders is that they can vary - a lot. You might encounter an Indonesian-made entry model for $200 that's got "it". Or a pre-CBS Jazz for $20K that doesn't.

So though I'm an enormous admirer of Leo Fender's work, I find I've had to cast a wider net to nab the instruments that serve me best. That's why only 2 out of the 6 electric basses in my stable are genuine Fender. (2 others, both of the "Jazz" basses, are fairly close copies and another 2 are largely their own thing.)

20. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    Fender basses are like old Chevys - you can basically take them apart with a screwdriver.
    They were essentially the first electric bass guitar and responsible for many classic tracks for over half a century.
    There are many models and they can all be tweaked and personalized in a variety of ways.
    If you like something better by all means go for it.
    I have two Fenders, a Tokai, an Epiphone and a Kay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.