1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

extension speaker for old GK 200 combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by massimo, Nov 20, 2018.

1. massimo

massimo

Jul 29, 2006
    Paris (France)
    Hi everybody, i'm asking you ,owners of the old Gallien Krueger 200MB combo, which extension speaker you prefer with it (other than the MBX112 extension that in my opinion is too "shy" in power) .
    I really like the sound of this combo (maybe more than all the others out there) but sometimes i need some more volume. There are two options: to use another 8 ohm speaker with the internal speaker, or to use another 4 ohm speaker switching off the internal speaker. In your experience which is the best solution ? And what size for the extension ? I'm looking more for a "ballsy, punchy sound" than a natural sound (for that i have a AI Clarus with Mas 2x5). Thanks for your help.

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Massimo,
    I had a 200MK powered extension that
    worked great. A friend of mine put in a switch to disconnect the tweeter. It may be difficult to find one. A couple things to remember, those amps only produce 80 watts, and the Aluminum cabinets are infinite baffles (sealed boxes) they can only go so loud.

massimo likes this.
  3. massimo

massimo

Jul 29, 2006
    Paris (France)
    Rick,here i can find used MK200, but it's a keyboard amp so what are you talking about it's a different beast ?

4. massimo

massimo

Jul 29, 2006
    Paris (France)
  5. tito mangialajo

tito mangialajo

Feb 1, 2006
    I'm very interested in this thread too. I have an old GK200MB since 1989...

massimo likes this.
  6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Massimo,
    Yes, I believe this is what you’re looking for. It was designed as an extension for the 200MK. As you can see there is a small tweeter in the center of the cabinet.

massimo likes this.