Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Extra end-pin: is it neccessary?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by hdiddy, Nov 24, 2004.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hi guys,

Poked around with some searches and didn't come up with anything. Anyways I've been thinking that my end-pin rod is quite a bit too long (not to mention heavy). Now that I'm going to start using a wheel, I was thinking it'd be nice to just stuff the end-pin rod away in a small pocket if it was short enough when the wheel is in use. I'm sure there is over a foot of metal that I don't and will never use since I only use about 4" sticking out the bottom.

Can me and my buddy hacksaw go to town and lop the excess off? Is it gonna affect the sound adversely? If I did, I'll still probably save about 4-5" above where I normally use it so the rod continues to stick out into the body.

Thanks... you guys are the best! :D

2. Alex Scott

Alex Scott

May 8, 2002
    Austin, TX
    do it and get a back up for that time when you will leave it at a gig and have another gig before the place you played the last gig is open again.

3. I had a problem with my endpin, in that it was too long and it rattled. I hacked it off and voila, no rattle and it didn't have any affect on the sound(at least to my ears). Happy sawing!

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    This can happen, believe me... :D