1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

F#C#G#C# String Help!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by gatorben24, Apr 22, 2010.

1. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Hey, so I was in two bands. One that played standard tunning and some drop D and the other that tunes to ^^^^that. I play on Elixir strings that came on my Ibanez and their just amazing but when I down tune them they get real ganky and just bad sounding and loose. And now I am out of the standard tune band and am just in the drop tune. And so my question.

What strings would be good with that downtune and are strong and smooth like the Elixir's? Sorry if its a bland question but I'm basically asking about drop tune strings. Sorry I'm also new with strings

Thanks for the help guys

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I typed in 'drop tune' in the search function of the strings forum, and there were numerous threads on this subject.

3. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Which F# are you trying to hit? 23 Hz?

You have two drop intervals - it'll be tough to find a set for that.

A straight drop tuned F# set (assuming you mean 23 Hz) would be;
    F#-.170 C#-.118 F#-.088 B-.064

4. I think you just posted your string order backwards, unless you're reall after a low F#

5. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    I run contrary to alot of industry standards - you've got to be right.

Assuming you are;
    .124 .084 .061 .043
    .118 .080 .058 .043

6. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Sorry, I was just doing it on my phone and was just trying to get quick feedback but I was doing it in an order that I have seen the on Ultimate Guitar on post that they were going over different drop names and they were going from highest to lowest or thinnest to thickest.. No. Its just a normal half step down

7. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Depending on your sensibilities - whether you like a looser or tighter feel - either of the last two sets would be about right for C# as your lowest-tuned string.

8. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Hmm so these aren't actually labeled drop strings but yet are in a way?

9. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    There is no such thing as "drop strings," it's just a phrase used for marketing. Strings come if different gauges, period. It's not like there's a .105 "normal" string and a .105 "drop" string.

If you want to tune lower than typical standard E, then you should get heavier gauge strings. Pay attention to what knuckle_head is saying, he knows what he's talking about.

10. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    ohh ok. I kinda understand. So lets say I want them to be a bit of a tighter feel on a drop C#. What gauge should I general get?

Sorry, thanks for the patients guys

11. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    'round about .120 would be good on bottom - I think my .118 set (see above) would be good for what you're after, one a set close to those gauges if you want to but singles and assemble yourself.

12. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    So knuckle, will you sell strings in odd mixes like that? (Referring to your F#-.170 C#-.118 F#-.088 B-.064 "set")

I may need CGDA strings in 34" scale and BEADGC strings in 44.5" ball-to-nut scale. 42" speaking length.

13. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    The .170 set specified is available on the Circle K site as a drop tuned set. If I'm reading it right the CGDA set is a 5ths set and I'm working through the tensions to make those available over the next 4 to 6 weeks.

The longer stuff will come, but likely not until Fall. I will be in a place by year's end to do upright length strings and will at that point be able to assist with speaking lengths well in excess of 42".

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Yup, CGDA being fifths, cello-but-one-octave-down tuning. It looks like you already have the gauges available but you just need to make sets out of them?

Re: the longer string lengths, that's fantastic. Comparing the prices of your sets to standard DB sets, i would rather use circleK as opposed to TI on my Ergo DB. Will they be the same as your normal strings (just longer), or will they be flatwound?

15. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    That is exactly it - I am running numbers and balancing sets. They will appear as a choice in the Balanced/Traditional/Drop Tuned, etc. pulldown

Until the strings are made I will not know what they will cost. They will be more expensive because the machinery will have to be set up for it, and there will probably not be very many run as compared to standard strings - all things that push prices the wrong way. I will make them available as inexpensively as I can.

16. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    I found the pulldown but there are no strings listed, so i assume its going to happen soon. :D

Understood.

17. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
  18. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    These are the gauges that set has;

5-String Heavy gauges: 55-75-95-115-135

This set is NOT a drop tuned set. The top three strings are reasonably balanced to be tuned to a light tensioned standard 55-D 75-A and 95-E. Given the tension of these three strings the .115 would tune to C# and the 135 would tune to a comparatively tight B.

I really don't see what they are trying to do here...

Circle K Strings is my company - I manufacture and sell them.

19. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    Sorry, I have been a bit confusing and lacking in post quality due to posting through my phone which I rather not but it is usually the case.

I tune BbDbAbDbGb. It was the tunning used when I joined this new band. I was getting ganky noise with medium strings and heard about "drop tune" strings and wanted some info.. You helped me out alot and I stopped by my local samash today and they did not have any heavy gauge nor helped me much and I've heard a good review of your strings and will be attempting to buy a set tonight or tomorrow night. Thank you for your help!

20. gatorben24

gatorben24

Mar 8, 2010
    So I looked on your site last night and couldn't find anything close to that. I want at least a .115 E. What do you think I should get gauged for the tuning above^^?