1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(factory restock)?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rusty2867, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Rusty2867

Rusty2867

Jan 12, 2014
    De Soto,Ks
    What exactly does this mean? One of the music stores has this on there website in the amp section,are they returns or are they ones that have been reconditioned? What I am looking at is Ampeg PF500

2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

That usually means a warranty exchange factory repaired unit. With the PF500 that would most likely mean the main amp board was replaced.

3. Rusty2867

Rusty2867

Jan 12, 2014
    De Soto,Ks
    That's kinda what I was thinking,I guess I need to go to the store and ask about if there is still warranty on these,price is right!

4. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Usually the factory warranty is only 30 to 90 days on these. An aftermarket warranty is not a bad bet with the PF500 or SVT-7, IMO of course.
    New fresh unit buyers pay for the full warranty!

5. I had the Pf500. I liked it very much until it stopped working a week after the warranty expired. I hear the newer ones are better, but I wouldn't get another.

6. hodgy

hodgy

May 5, 2004
    Bothell, WA
    Customer Support- Ampeg/ Line 6
    I look at it this way- you can't know or undo whatever hell an amp's previous owner has inflicted upon said amp. Buy new or beware.

wmhill likes this.
  7. Laughing Hyena

Laughing Hyena

Aug 8, 2014
    Coming from an Ampeg tech, that's terrifying to hear. I recently bought a "restock" V-4B. Appears to be brand new. But, perhaps gremlins lurking?

8. Rusty2867

Rusty2867

Jan 12, 2014
    De Soto,Ks
    Thanks guys,I am just doing some research and trying to decide what to do.Leaning towards the new Ampeg BA210 combo,being as I'm a beginner it'll probably do anything I will ever do.I'm an old beginner.

9. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    A restock could mean that the box was open, an amp used at a trade show, a returned product, or even a repaired returned product. A B-stock usually has a flaw and is sold at a reduced price. Depending on the company, B-stock could also be any of the above. It really is a gamble.

If you can swing it, a new amp with the full warranty is a safer way to go. Otherwise check the amp out visually and push it to its limit while it is still on the reduced warranty.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Rneckties31 likes this.
  10. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Who knows, e-x-a-c-t-l-y? The seller should know. Call the outfit & tell them you need to know what's the story with this particular amp. Exactly. Ask them to find out for you. Does it carry the same warranty as new? If you think you may want it, be persistent & insistent.

11. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I got lucky with a B Stock before. I purchased an SVT-4 at about half price because of it's B status. When I received the amp I discovered that one of the power sections was not working. I called Ampeg and asked what I should do and the nice lady on the phone sent me a new one and just asked that I place the defective unit in the shipping container (with the provided return label) when I receive the replacement. That amp is still going strong about 7 or 8 years later.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  12. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    You sure did! It always help to be nice when dealing with customer service.

Bass 45 likes this.
  13. Rusty2867

Rusty2867

Jan 12, 2014
    De Soto,Ks
    I do know where there is a really nice Genz stack image.jpg

14. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    As long as the warrantee was as for new units (& it often is), luck played no role whatsoever.

15. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    Lucky in that they could have taken the amp back, repaired it, and returned it. In this case the amp was upgraded to a new one. That's pretty good.

B stock comes with a reduced warranty. Now if they replace it with a new unit, does it come with a full warranty? That would be an incredible bonus.

16. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    In other situations I have had to take additional hassles and efforts like: transporting the item for repairs, waiting (a long time) for said repairs, being without said amp/effects pedal in this time, paying to ship an item for factory repairs, and paying a "handling fee" for warranty repairs ($12.00 with Electroharmonix for ex.).

and, yes David, as far as I know, the replacement amp came with a 5 year warranty as it was not a designated B Stock and Ampeg's warranty's were transferable back then (IIRC) - in which case the manufacturing date could have been used for proof of warranty service term. The heavily used and well taken care amp never had needed any service - but it was nice to think it was available free if needed (by now I just trust the amp anyway).

I was polite (as always;) with the service rep - and lucky that I had to do and pay so little to get a new amp.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  17. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    From my experience, most often the warrantee isn't reduced. And as long as the warrantee covers the defect, again, luck enters into the equation nowhere.

18. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    If someone doesn't care for things required with the warrantee (& some can definitely be on the onerous side), then there's always the choice of getting a competitor's item.

19. Bass 45

Bass 45

Jun 23, 2011
    Tempe, Arizona
    I am not sure I understand your point.

One of my recent warranty experiences concerned an Electro-harmonics B9 Organ machine.

The pedal failed. I had to provide packaging, a shipping label (on my dime) and a $12.00 check (I am assuming to cover return shipping). I was without the item for about 3 weeks.

I was not able to predict the pedal failing - nor was there an item like it offered by "competitors" when I considered making the purchase.

I am not complaining about Electro-harmonics - I was simply implying that my experience with the SVT-4, no doubt, for many reasons, was above and beyond normal expectations.

One important fact I have not specifically stated: I paid $799.00 for the B Stock amp and ended up with a fully warrantied non-B stock amp (which was normally priced at $1549.00 at that time).

20. beans-on-toast

Aug 7, 2008
    The B-stock warranty at Loud is 90 days vs their standard 2 year warranty. A B-stock amp is sold at a reduced price because of an issue. The warranty does not extend to reasons that made it a B-stock item such as cosmetic flaws for example. The company was not obligated to replace the B-stock amp with a brand new one. Normally they would repair the amp. The customer service rep decided to offer a new amp in exchange which is more than they were required to do. Speak to another customer service rep and it could have gone the repair route.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    Bass 45 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2021