1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Faital or JBL for Acoustic 406?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Low End Curse, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Low End Curse

Low End Curse

Aug 3, 2018
    Milwaukee
    I’ve got an Acoustic 406 with blown original speakers. I have 2 local choices for speaker replacements and could use some advice. First choice is NIB JBL 2226 8 ohm 15’s @ $275 for the pair. Second choice is Faital 15PR400 4 ohm 15’s @ $400 for the pair.

I’m powering the cab with a Sunn 300T. I play in a very loud fuzzed out doom-y band and tune down to C standard. The other half of my rig is an Acoustic 370 through a 301 cab with the original CV 18”.

zon6c-f likes this.
  2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    Faital would be 2 ohm

Pair JBLs be fun.

Good question cause both have benefits and down falls.

But great cab.
    another 406 be deadly

I have fun with my 301 but it never mixed well with any cab. I liked the sound of another cab on stage. cause 301 sounds weird sometimes. But 2 x 301 is pretty intense and alot fun.

Either way 406 and 301 is pretty cool looking wall of blue. ;)

zon6c-f likes this.
  3. JimChjones

JimChjones

Aug 6, 2017
    SE England
    There's a lot of ask in that. Does the amp have the 2/4/8 switch for impedance as specs on the net? If so it doesn't matter technically which drivers you use, so you're really asking us which will give you the sound you want. Not sure anyone can realistically answer that. If you use the Faitals it might be as well to wire them in series to make it an 8ohm cab.

4. Low End Curse

Low End Curse

Aug 3, 2018
    Milwaukee
    Yes, it does have the impedance selector switch. I’m sure either would work fine, simply interested in perspective from people who have experience with these 2 specific speakers and what they like about them.

5. I been thinking about adding my MarkBass 4 ohm 210 to my 371 set up. For a 2 ohm thing. Just a thought that I’m sure I’ll do soon...

6. I’m a JBL guy myself for the OP.

7. Low End Curse

Low End Curse

Aug 3, 2018
    Milwaukee
    Always have been too, thanks!

8. iammr2

iammr2

Jun 10, 2002
    Tejas
    Those JBL's are more for a PA application. Don't know about the Faitals.

chadds likes this.
  9. Low End Curse

Low End Curse

Aug 3, 2018
    Milwaukee
    Yeah, I know. I’ve read about a few people using them for bass cabs with great results though. They also seem indestructible, which is something I need.

10. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    You need to buy those 2226H's, or tell me where I can get them if you don't. A NIB (New In Box, right?) JBL 2226H is over $500 retail for one, wholesale dealer net on a NIB pair is over $700.
    A pair of OEM recone kits for 2226H(or J) is about as much as you are saying your price is on a pair of NIB complete units.

Share the source brother! What else are they giving away? :hyper:

SirMjac28 and agedhorse like this.
  11. agedhorse

agedhorse SUSPENDED Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The Faital driver is at least as robust as the 2226 for bass guitar.

12. Low End Curse

Low End Curse

Aug 3, 2018
    Milwaukee
    Hahahaha, I know! This guy has some impressive stuff. Mostly P.A. and high end hifi gear. Figure the JBL’s are worth picking up and flipping if I don’t like them.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  13. dBChad

dBChad

Aug 17, 2018
    Daytona Beach, FL
    With that being the case, I'd try the JBLs first, and if they don't sound good to you, you could probably sell them for enough to pay for the Faitals outright.

I have never used Faital, but B&C are similar in construction and sound amazing.

14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

without regard to your amp:
    the JBL's in parallel or the faitals in series would each give satisfactory/great bass response depending on your own tastes. me: i'd probably go for the faital's --- over the long haul: maybe i'd appreciate the sensitivity, and i'd no doubt appreciate the range, but i'd certainly appreciate the weight! good luck with your choice! :thumbsup:

15. Low End Curse

Low End Curse

Aug 3, 2018
    Milwaukee
    Thanks for the response, the range and weight of the faitals are the factors on paper I’m drawn most to.

JRA likes this.
  16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    The Faital voicing is quite different, IMO a better all around driver for bass guitar.

Omega Monkey and alaskaleftybass like this.
  17. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    It's the 4 ohm versions.
    So nobody wants a 2 ohm 2x15.

Or take the hit in less efficiency with lower impedance coils.

In general most would prefer the faitals
    But a few know where the real magic is at ;)

18. edbass

edbass

Nov 8, 2004
    Don't do that. Keep them in the factory packaging and put them on eBay as NIB; you should be able to easily double your money, may even net out with free drivers for your 406 cab.

Those 2226H are overkill (and waaaay overweight) for your application. They are legendary for pro sound applications, as a 20lb 15" woofer in 2018, mostly relegated now to permanent install applications.
    I've used the 8 ohm 15PR400 in a Reeves prototype cab with a C225 recently, a single 15 got a little floppy at on the bottom cranked way up, the Reeves C225 has a stupid huge low end, your Sunn should be fine with a pair.

Omega Monkey likes this.
  19. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    I would certainly recommend the 8 ohm version of the driver for a 215, netting a 4 ohm cabinet, but many tube amps have an 8 ohm tap and would be perfectly fine with 2 x 4 ohm in series (netting an 8 ohm cabinet).

Bill Whitehurst and Omega Monkey like this.
  20. Why not have the original drivers rebuilt?