Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"fake" book?!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Osama_Spears, Dec 20, 2003.

1. Can someone please tell me what a "fake" book means? I've been hearing it everywhere,and I'm really curious. Thanks!

2. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    Read a brief description HERE

Basically a thick book with a ton of songs, providing the basics you need to play them, or "fake" your way through them with some degree of competence.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I was under the impression that the "fake" aspect came into play as they were mostly illegally made- that is, they were songs copied down and sold (or traded) without copyright consent, etc. Thus, the "legit" copies became "real" books.

But I very well could be wrong.

4. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    You're probably right and that is probably the real reason they are called "Fake", I just came up with the "fake your way through" expression on my own since that is what I have used them for sometimes when given 5 minutes notice to have a song ready to play that I've never played before. For example our keyboad player has a Christmas Fake Book that has allowed me to fake my way though several times in the past couple of weeks.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Whichever explanation is correct, I would say yours is more apt. ;)

6. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    i believe (could be wrong) that the real book is exactly from the recordings of the songs. The fake book parts have the songs in different keys. they no longer sell true real books because there was a big copywrite problem. the fake book avoids this problem. that is my understanding of it. I can play along with my real book to cd's etc. but not with a fake book without chankging the key.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    'the real book' is the black listed, illegal one of myth, most music stores have them, but you gotta ask under the counter like.

however, 'the new real book' series, offer legal alternatives, most of the transcriptions and lead sheets have been redone, and are more complete and useful than the days of 'the real book'

there are many different fake books, and those provide the skeleton structure or some changed notes/chords/key so that you can 'fake' your way thru a song.