1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fake or Genuine Jazz Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bruno Moura, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Bruno Moura

Bruno Moura

Dec 20, 2018
    Hello,
    My name is Bruno, Im brazillian and this is my first post, I'm sorry if I'm doing something wrong...
    So, I want to know if this is a real old jazz bass or a fake one. I think the neck or the fretboard may have been changed, but the body looks so vintage, and the painting so beautiful too... maybe it could be an original body.. the fender logo on the headstock looks ok too..
    the seller said he bought this bass in a garage sale in the USA. Theres no serial or any other mark in the neck pocket of the body or at the end of the heal of the neck...
    The seller also said that he put a new truss rod and refinish the back of the neck.
    I would appreciate it if you could help me
    Sorry about my english and thanks a lot!!

Attached Files:

jamro217 likes this.
  2. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    From those pics? Fake.

RiZzBot, jackn1202, pht2356 and 9 others like this.
  3. ShiftyFlatwound

ShiftyFlatwound

Apr 3, 2015
    I'm no expert, but that looks fake to me.

4. Did the seller say what year it was? Open up the control area and look at the dates on the potentiometers. If that is the original neck, taking off the neck should also demonstrate a year manufactured. The pickup does not match the rest of the bass.

Bruno Moura, LBS-bass and jamro217 like this.
  5. Here is picture of a real 1966 Fender Jazz. Compare and decide if you cannot open up the baby

Attached Files:

Bruno Moura and jamro217 like this.
  6. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    Fake.

Bruno Moura, jamro217 and RyanOh like this.
  7. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Blank neck plate = bad sign.

8. Bruno Moura

Bruno Moura

Dec 20, 2018
    He said 70s... I'll ask him to check the potentiometers. What is wrong with the pickups?? Thanks!

jamro217 likes this.
  9. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    I'll go with fake. The heel is all wrong.

10. The magnets are too long

11. 6pack Jon

6pack Jon

Jul 6, 2006
    Queens, NY
    The neck has 21 frets, something doesn’t add up.

rwkeating, bassmeknik, Kevnn4 and 2 others like this.
  12. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Suspended

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Truss rod adjustment should be at the other end of the neck on an older bass.

13. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    total fake

Aqualung60, Bruno Moura and jamro217 like this.
  14. Nothing about that looks real.

15. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I will echo that this is an absolute fake.

16. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    Run Away!!!

mikewalker and Bruno Moura like this.
  17. Hello and welcome to TB. I think this is a fake because:
    1.) The neck looks too wide at the nut. Fender Jazz Basses have a 1 1/2" nut width.
    2.) The decal is wrong. Wrong color and font. No "Offset body" or patent decals.
    3.) No dot position marker on the nineteenth fret.
    4.) This bass has twenty one frets, not twenty.
    5.) Either a bullet truss rod for a '70's model or a heel adjustment was standard. This has neither.
    All of these could easily be explained by a replacement neck. Other reasons:
    6.) Paint job unlike any normal Fender sunburst finish.
    7.) Neck pickup looks to be a bridge pickup that was stuck there as a replacement (too big).
    8.) Bridge cover intact. This isn't so much a problem as it is the possibility that it's hiding a problem. You can't see the bridge pickup or the bridge itself. Crooks sometimes put the covers on to hide obvious clues that a bass isn't original. It could be that the previous owner never took it off, or it was reattached prior to putting it up for sale to prove it's included. That is still a warning flag in my book.
    9.) Blank neck plate. Fenders have either a serial number or an F. Again, replacement neck with the wrong plate? Stupid, but possible.
    10.) Wrong string tensioner. Another non original part on a bass that's supposed to be a Fender.
    11.) Replacement knobs. Not a biggie, but with so many other parts that are fake (not including what is hiding under the bridge cover and control plate), makes you wonder.
    In conclusion, if this bass was a gift, enjoy it. If you love the way it plays and sounds, offer the seller $50. The only parts that look authentic are the pickguard and the bridge cover. Maybe the tuners ('70's Fenders tuners were made by Schaller and had Fender stamped on the back plate. Not positive about all '60's Fender tuners. This doesn't have the stamp and they look artificially aged.) and strap buttons. Like Nigel Tufnel, my list goes to 11. ;) Hope this helps.

edit. Tuners are not OEM Fender. Thanks to Double E for pointing this out. Now the list is a dirty dozen. Ouch!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  18. lundborg

lundborg

Apr 8, 2008
    I think the ashtray is probably genuine.

jamro217 and Bruno Moura like this.
  19. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    It's a Jazz Bass shape but definitely not a Fender Jazz Bass.

Bruno Moura likes this.
  20. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Well it could be genuine, just a little strange with no ser.nr. anywhere.

Bruno Moura likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021