Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fame Baphomet-4??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Surferboy, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Hi,

I had a few questions about getting a new Bass, atm I have cheap-@ss Maxime (??!?) bass.......and I want something better......so as I was searching the net......I saw this one:

[​IMG]

It is a Fame Baphomet-4 Neck-trough-body, it has a Bubbinga-body, wenge Fretboard with 24 frets, 2x MEC singlecoil PU's, 2-bands MEC electronics, Gotoh MachineHeads and a solid 3d-bridge the price: €799 (remember I live in Europe, so the prices are a bit higher than in the states:mad: )..........well what do you think? I'm now playing for 4 months, and I play al kind of styles.....(but I can't slap:bawl:......) is it a good deal? other basses i should take a look @?? (budget about 750 euros....lets say 790 dollar)

Thnx!

Greets, Stefan (Holland)

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Never heard of the company.. Bass looks decent...

Just observations:

5 piece walnut/maple/bubinga neckthrough..
    Hipshot style bridge
    2 MEC jazz style pickups
    2 band EQ
    Strap locks..
    24 fret neck

Doesn't look too bad. If you decide to get it make sure to see if there is a return policy..

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Wow, its an imitation Warwick. Bubinga/maple, MEC electronics, Fortress like shape... Sure looks like a Warwick to me.

5. Hey,

Thnx for the quick reply's!! Here's another bass I found Cort TmStevens Funk Machine

It has a Basswood body, bolt-on neck with palisander(?) fretboard, 24 frets , 2 Bartolini MK-1 pu's, active Bartolini TM 3 band EQ, Funk-Slap contourswitch................hmm.....point is.....i can't slap......so it maybe a little not what i'm looking for......

Cheers, Stefan

6. I wish they imported Fame Baphomet in the U.S.

We've got a million Fender knock-offs. We need more imitation Warwicks.

7. looks like a nice bass ... I'm not that technicaly inclined when it comes to instruments ... basses are a particular weak point of mine as well. BUt it looks good if that helps you any. If it has a good return policy go for it ... worst comes to worst you return it and keep looking.

By the way, i live in canada, so prices suck for me too.

[/|\]

Dave Neal likes this.
  8. hahaha a soulmate!:D Prices are at least 150 euros higher than in the US.....exept for Rickenbackers! They are new €1400 !!:bassist: (but then again, i can't afford one...so what am i talking about....:( )

9. Well....would that be a good or a bad thing??:rolleyes:

10. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    No, I've just never seen a fake Warwick before.

11. Hahah, okay;) They also have MusicMan copy's.........:rolleyes: :bassist:

12. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    yes, i am aware of that.

13. Are the MEC-pu's and electronics any good? Or are they just rip-offs?

Ci@o Stefan

14. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Rip off's of what?

15. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    MEC piakups and electronics are what is used in real Warwick basses, so they can't be all that bad.

16. I dunno, EMG's? Bartolini's? I know that EMG has been copied quite a lot....so I was just wondering, are they good? Or just cheap rip-offs? (Or good cheap rip-offs?:D )

17. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Looks to me to be the same instrument as the Mayones Be-4:

[​IMG]

@ mayones.com

Someone recently got a Mayones, and liked it... a search should turn it up.

18. I checked it out.... the woods are different and you can (optionally) get them with bartolini pu's......but the store closest to me is in Denmark........so that would be a "minor" problem as they aren't a online-shop............... but they don't differ that much same pu's, same machineheads, etc.... and I think they sound good.......

click here for some samples
    (they are from the Bolt-on)

19. Meehaw

Meehaw

Jun 11, 2003
    Gdynia, Poland
    Hi!:)

Not so far to look for a Mayones!
    The Fame is an export version of Mayones, which are made in Poland.

I play their Be6 bolt-on Custom with Bartolini electronics and an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp. ROCKS DA HOUSE!:D

I always thought they messed up with the other name for export thing.:rolleyes:

20. You play one? Cool! Can you tell us a bit about it? (I know that comparing a six-string tot a four-string is hard) How is the quality of for example the woods, the finish...etc;) And is bodo polish for bubbinga?:confused: (my Polish isn't that good......nor is my English......or my Duth, but that's kinda offtopic:rolleyes: )
    Too bad they don't export the version with Bartolini pu's and electronics...........:bawl:

Thnx!
    Cheers Stefan:bassist: