Famous bassists who use picks

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tin Cadillac, Feb 14, 2012.

1. BassFishingInAmerica

BassFishingInAmerica

Jul 24, 2014
    Julie Slick

Ghostinthemach likes this.
  2. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Inactive

Funny, I gave up looking for him after 50 posts/3 pages! Saltines.

bucephylus likes this.
  3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Jason Newsted :bassist:

4. dtripoli

dtripoli

Aug 15, 2010
    CA
    Bass Players that became famous despite using a pick...
    Donny Osmond
    Peter Tork
    Dean Paul Martin (RIP)
    Johnny Allen Hendrix (RIP)
    Donny.jpg Tork.jpg Dino.jpg Jimi bass.jpg

5. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music. Supporting Member

Yeah.
    There aren't too many that play or listen to Jazz and Fusion nowadays.:meh::unsure:

MartLou and bucephylus like this.
  6. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    In fact, my comment was intended as an endearing jibe, because I quite value our little Bass family on here in all it's forms.

You speak truth that the Jazz/ Fusion gigs have become uncommon and difficult to promote. It is frustrating. And, I have become somewhat of a return rocker myself these days, because cover gigs do still exist.

OTOH, AJ was also a somewhat prominent figure in the pop studios. Here's a clip just to jog the memories. While we are losing our Jazz gigs, I also worry that we are starting to become unaware of the legacy - Blues and the great studio cats. Anyhow, enjoy!

gebass6 likes this.
  7. Joepcat

Joepcat

Oct 9, 2019
    I have never had a sound guy tell me not to use a pick. They can adjust their sound throught he board and rack.

8. Joepcat

Joepcat

Oct 9, 2019
    I like a pick. Helps me with speed and control. The only one that matters is Lemmy and he used a pick. He called himself a guitarist who played bass. Love it.

gebass6 likes this.
  9. vbshredder

vbshredder

Jul 22, 2012
    Hampton Roads
    I prefer a pick, just like the tone it gets me, the punch. But i enjoy playing with fingers, i just find I like the way I sound with a pick on most tunes. I've been asked to go back to a pick by one band i've played in..... and i promise i'm not hopeless with my fingers!!! (Because that would be a legit reason too)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021