Famous bassists who use picks

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Tin Cadillac, Feb 14, 2012.

1. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Peter Cetera

2. adi77

adi77 Inactive

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    mike gordon

CaseyJ likes this.
  3. I play using both, because it really doesnt matter.

I know some of these have probably been said already, but:
    Craig Montoya
    Nate Mendel
    Krist Novoselic

Kawai-chang likes this.
  4. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I made the switch from pick to finger style many years ago. Probably about 25 years ago. I seem to do well either way. I look at the whole pick/finger thing as just a huge joke. Who really cares either way. Great tone is great tone. Grooving bottom end is the player not the pick. Yea, I joke with pick players, but it is just in sport. I even have a shirt "Picks are for Pu$$ies".. Cause it's just funny. Quality of the player isn't from a pick. Proven over and over again. Mike Gordon, Phil Lesh, Paul McCartney and on and on. I still grab a pick on occasion. Especially on super humid days when I get a huge blister on my fingers from the sweat and moisture. Picks come through just fine

5. Billy Gould. Lots of picking, especially in the Chuck Mosely days.(and on King for a Day)

6. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Shane Embury - Napalm Death
    Jeff Walker - Carcass
    Danny Lilker - Anthrax, SOD, Nuclear Assault, etc
    Jimmy Bain - Dio
    Mariusz Duda - Riverside

Xero Tolerance likes this.
  7. Xero Tolerance

Xero Tolerance

May 19, 2014
    New Jersey
    Doesn't matter what you use as long as you get er done. A true bassist uses what he's comfortable with to accomplish his goal and lay down killer low end and have a blast while you do it. :)

On that note
    Peter Steele, Jason Newsted, Paulo jr, lemmy, David Ellefson, Tom Araya, Chris Squire, Tom Angelripper, and youll also see it in a lot of the neo thrash bassists. Several of the bassists in Death used picks, most vivid in my memory is the bassist from the sound of perseverance lineup. Robert Trujillo occasionally uses them, and Geezer butler himself occasionally used them! (Don't believe me watch their live in New York 1980 film- neon knights you get great shots of geezer using a pick!)

I personally play with both pick and fingers, really all depends on the song, how I'm feeling, tone I'm going for, etc. I primarily use my fingers and only use fingers live (except for in my new band where I also handle vocal duties- using a pick really helped me improve on vocals/bass simultaneously as a frontman.) but it annoys me to no end to see pick bass get ripped on when pick bass gives a killer attack and bright/ growly tone.

8. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Nov 13, 2007
    Jerry Peek (Steve Morse Band)

9. drdog

drdog

Apr 17, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    99% of time, I use fingerstyle. However, only recently I started using pick on some songs. The reason is because the way I hold my wrist when I fingerpick I sometimes get wrist fatigue and I'm trying to avoid the future development of carpal tunnel. So playing with a pick sometimes relieves my right hand wrist area for a song or two.

10. bassplayer2014

bassplayer2014 Inactive

Jun 7, 2014
    Arizona
    Cliff Williams AC/DC

Kevnn4 likes this.
  11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Correct thanks for posting ! In the first 10 years of The Who pick or fingers was about 50/50.

12. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Not famous enough, but Grog from Die So Fluid. Great tone. Sings and plays effortlessly.

13. Cole Louis Allar

Cole Louis Allar

Dec 25, 2015
    I'm not famous but I use a pick

BASSically Awful likes this.
  14. Cascanicoff

Cascanicoff

Nov 30, 2015
    Check this out. Music starting on 1:14

Carles Benavent, my favourite pick bass player. And one of my very top favourite players in any style.

Runlikegregg likes this.
  15. RyanKW

RyanKW

Jul 1, 2015
    Yeah, I'm the first to admit that I don't use a pick because I'm not comfortable with it and don't feel I can play it at the level that I'm expected to play. I was a purist when I was young because.........????????????????????????????????? because young people are f***ing stupid sometimes, and I'm no exception. I wish I had developed my pick game while I was developing the rest.

16. Spigot

Spigot

Jan 1, 2009
    ,ver'm jumping in here way after the last post before me, and am new to this TB posting thing. I don't think anyone has mentioned Mrs. John Murphy - Kim Deal - of the Pixies. A very underrated player and singer, I think. I can't recall his name, but the guy that played live with the Beach Boys for many years sounds like he used a pick, and managed to get that sound of Carol Kaye mixed with upright all by himself on the London live 1968 recording. I'm glad someone mentioned Joe Osborne. I met Jesse Chambers back when he played with Ricky Skaggs in 1986, and he told me all about how he used the Joe Osborne approach: tandem-knob early Jazz Bass, bass pickup only with chrome cover over it as it influenced the magnetic field (treble pickup volume all the way down), dead flats, and a Dorito-shaped big Fender heavy pick. Supposedly Dick Dale had all his bassists use a P-Bass with flats and a pick, striking all the notes with downstrokes. Some of that Doobie Brothers stuff, like "Listen To The Music" and "Taking It To The Streets" almost has to be a pick on flats by the sound of it. I personally use both pick and fingers, even thumb, and probably prefer the pick overall.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2016
  17. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Steve Swallow
    Anthony Jackson
    Bobby Vega
    Carles Benavent

18. KoaFodera

KoaFodera Commercial User

Jan 22, 2005
    Guelph, ON, Canada
    Owner, Ultimate Basses
    Just in case this name was not mentioned yet... Graham Maby from Joe Jackson. Classic songs such as "Sunday Papers" & "I'm the Man" have great driving bass lines.

Graham Maby: Still the Man with Joe Jackson

My all time favorite bassist that used a pick would have to be Chris Squire. Great tone and some of the best melodic lines ever.

McCartney on "Goodnight Tonight"

Mike Rutherford on "Get'em Out By Friday"

Justin Chancellor, great tone on that Wal bass

another great musician worth mentioning: Nick Beggs

Billy Sherwood, who was personally asked by Chris Squire, to perform with Yes

Dave Meros from Spock's Beard. Check out Walking On The Wind

Last edited: May 17, 2016
    fretlessguy and A.K. like this.
  19. Cole Louis Allar

Cole Louis Allar

Dec 25, 2015
    Dee Dee Ramone
    Mat Freedman( sorry if I spelled his name incorrectly)

Kevnn4 likes this.
  20. PGeorge61

PGeorge61

Apr 14, 2012
    Liberty, Mo.
    Phil Lynott. Thin Lizzy

MartLou likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021