Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

farting cab!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Joseph Sheldon, Jun 7, 2004.

1. I am about to make an expensive change to my rig and I could use some advice. I have an Ampeg b4r bridged mono to a svt 6/10 and I don't d-tune but I go down on the b alot and I play loud. I don't think it's my Warwick corv. jazzman, I think the cab can't handle the low end. The sound is bad it farts and bottoms out with the pre less than half and the main less than half. It is bad enough that I can't stand it anymore! :mad: I am convinced I need a better built cab with cast drivers with a higher wattage rating! I am thinking the ampeg pro 4/10 hlf or the Eden xlr 4/10 or swr 6/10. I want the loudest cleanest low end that WONT break up or distort if I punch my B! What would you guys suggest. I don't want an 8/10 it's too big and 2 4/10 would be a little expensive. Would like one cab that can handle my beast of a head. Thank's for any good advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Have you checked the 9V in your bass' preamp (if it has one)?

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah. My Yamaha TRB5II is starting to fart out on me. At first i thought it was my amp, but then i realised my battery in the bass itself was dying. Have a look at that, and if it still farts on you, take it to an amp repairer before you sell it. It might just be a dodgy input or solder somewhere. In which case, you wouldnt want to sell your cab because of a dodgy solder.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Playing Low B loud is the perfect combination for cab farting. The laws of physics are such that the following rule applies "Loud, Low, Small - pick any 2".

In other words, those little 10's often can't handle a low B when they being hammered with a lot of watts, no matter how many are in the cab. Having said that 6 is better than 4 in most cases.

Add a 15" speaker, or an 18 if you prefer. It may add more overall bottom end to your sound. But if you feel that it takes away your punch, turn the bottom end down at the amp. This does 2 things. It puts the punch back, AND it takes even more of those difficult lows away from the 10's. As a result, the whole rig can be pushed harder, go louder, and is less likely to fart or blow speakers.

5. I have a fresh battery in my bass every month. That was the first thing I thought of. The bass was built last november and I have played her through other amps and my conclusion is it is not the bass. The guitar player in my band (evolverocks.com) he is a programer of tottaly high end video and audio and belives I'm pushing those speakers to hard and will blow them eventually. I just can't seem to find a cab with 2-15'' and a horn that will take 1000 watts. :crying:

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    If your looking for a new 410 size cab do a search on the bergantino 322. Sounds like it would work for you and you need about a 1000 watts to open it up. About a $1000 for the cab (cheaper than a swr 610 and $180 more than the 410). Look it up, see what you think.

7. You can also check out Acme. Their cabinets are DESIGNED for the low B, and as such are ready for monstrous wattage. However, you do need wattage to push them. The B4R does 1000 watts mono into 4 ohms, which is what you should be putting into an Acme Low B-4 cabinet. It's 4 custom Eminence 10" Drivers, a 5" midrange, and a 1" tweeter...so it's a full range cabinet, and you shouldn't need to worry about expanding. They list new at $695, but you can find them used, because they're not for everybody. People try them out, don't like the fact that they are pure, unadulterated tone (like huge studio monitors), and choose to sell them.

If you're still stuck on Ampeg, the PR410HLF is a killer cabinet, and so is the 610HLF. Any of their cabinets with the porting on the bottom will give you some much needed oomph in the low end.

You may also want to research the GenzBenz 610T-XB2 as well.

As for the farting problem. That's the tradeoff you get. Those svt cabinets have super loud punchy midrange and good E-string bass, but their drop D and lower notes are really compromised. I stopped playing my 6 through my Mesa 4x10 because of this. Then I got an Acme and it allows me to bust out the 6'er again. :hyper:

If money is no object, the Aguilar 4x12 is a sweet cabinet, and I think Avatar makes a 4x12 as well.

I think if you just added a 1x15 or a 1x18 cabinet, without using some sort of crossover to eliminate the low end frequencies going into the 4x10, you'll always have the farting problem.

8. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Is your bass tone control on your axe dimed? If so, back it off to flat and see what happens. That tone control is just like a gain knob and is often the culprit with over driven and farting sounds.

9. I'll second the Acme Low B-4. I own one (4 ohms) and tune my bass D-G-C-F. I play in a fairly loud emo/indie rock band and am running 1400 watts into mine. Hearing and feeling those fundamentals is pretty awesome. It's not for everyone though and many people aren't used to it (actually hearing the lowest of lows). It can often sound like it's not as loud but trust me, all of the sound is there. Our ears just don't percieve those lower frequencies as "loud" in comparison to mids, highs, etc...

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    A couple things.

Yes, the PR410HLF goes lower than the 610, and its a ported cab, with the same (electrical) power handling as the 610. The low limit could be your problem, the speakers might be "doubling".

Another point, since you play loud....do you see the amp limit light on when you hear the distorted sound? At that point you would be hitting 1000 watts continuous (more, short-term).

You could be hearing speaker distortion, or limiter distortion.

By nature, limiters cause low frequency distortion due to a relatively faster attack and release time. (If they were slower they would be compressors, and would have other problems.)

So if you set so you are not hitting the limiter as often, or as hard, you might hear less distortion on very low notes. It shouldn't change your sound level much if any, since the limiter will hold to a max level anyway (there is a slight effect due to higher average level when limited).

11. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I can't believe that 6x10 is farting out on you.

I play through an Ampeg SVT 4x10 HLN which is a 4 ohm cab rated at 500 / 1000 watts. I can pump an enormous amount of power into this cabinet without any "farting".

I have used the following amps.

Sunn 1200s
    Fender Bassman 300
    Trace Elliot V6

If I am not mistaken, the Ampeg 6x10 is very similar to the SVT 4x10 HLF or HLN cabs, just higher handling capability.

I would not switch cabs, but would look towards your amp or bass as the problem.

Good luck.

12. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    Styles vary....could work for you fine.

The 610 has a slightly different (6 ohm) version of the speaker in the SVT410. I don't have the speaker differences in front of me, but they might account for differences in porting. The 6-10 is in the "8-10 group" response-wise.

The PR410HLF uses a different and higher rated speaker than the SVT410. It goes lower than the 6-10. For that matter, the SVT410 goes lower than the 6-10.

13. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    There is a reason why an SVT 8x10 cab works... Since it's a sealed cab (actually 4 2x10s) the speakers are properly loaded and produce extremely linear response. When a cab has a tuned port the motor of the speaker is not really braced for certain frequencies. The drawback is the SPL of the infinite baffle (sealed) cab. Hey, I'd sacrifice SPL for sound quality any day... IMHO

14. Been a while since I first posted this topic and I do apriciate all the feedback,all very informative! I took a different road for my solution or what might be one. I found out I would have taken a serious beating trading my 6/10 it dosen't seem to be a very sought after cab. So since my b4r is a stereo head with a built in crossover bi-amping I think is the answer. So for regular gigs I'll still bridge the 6/10 it works O.K. but I ordered an SVT 18'' and it should be here in Lancaster in the next few days. I know it's a lot of stuff to haul around but I think it might be one of the most devistating rigs I can think of. Clean clear and will loosen the bowls of hell :p