1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Faulty Input Jack (on Bass)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kyri, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Kyri

Kyri

Jan 19, 2012
    I have an old bass that was handed down to me that I have been practising on, but I'm having some issues with the input jack on the bass. When I plug in the cable, it will buzz/scratch loudly unless I apply pressure to it, and then it's fine (it feels almost as if I can't plug it in all the way unless I push down on it hard). I've been using tape to keep it down in place, but it's getting kind of annoying (and quite ugly mind you). I've used two different cables with the same result, so it has to be the input jack and it's not the amp.

Basically, what exactly is causing this? Do I need to replace the whole jack or is it something to do with the wiring? I'm not confident enough to open it up and fiddle around as I have no idea when it comes to things like this and don't want to wreak it further.

Help would be much appreciated.

2. Noise King

Noise King

Jun 28, 2011
    Oklahoma City
    Probably a wire came loose from the input jack. Open it up and see if any wires are loose, if so then simply re solder them on. This is a simple fix. :)

3. Steveaux

Steveaux Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2008
    The Wilds of NW Pa.
    It's an output jack.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It's the output jack. Could be a lose wire, but you might as well replace it. They wear out and don't cost much.

5. peterkidd

peterkidd

Oct 20, 2008
    Shirley, MA
    If you can get at it:

Wrap some fine sandpaper grit-out around an artists brush handle, run it along the part you put the cord in.

Also rub it along the curved bit that contacts the tip of your plug.

With the plug out, bend that same curved bit towards where the plug would be.

If still flawed, replace.

6. Kyri

Kyri

Jan 19, 2012
    I wasn't sure what it was called and just assumed it was an input jack. Not too clued up on these things; only started playing a couple of months ago.

Thanks for the advice. I'll take it apart and have a look.

7. digitalmoney

digitalmoney

Nov 13, 2011
    Appleton WI
    Where is the jack?
    On the side in front?
    I run my cable through my strap at the bottom so it loops in to the jack.
    That way if you step on it when you're getting wild it won't break it.
    Maybe this happened to it already?
    Clean it out with spray.
    DeoxIt D5

caig.com - Home of DeoxIT® - CAIG Laboratories, Inc.

8. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Just got mine fixed today at Mouradian guitars near Boston... hopefully you got a shop you trust around your area