1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fave basses for extreme music?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkstorm, Apr 22, 2010.

1. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    This would include death and black metal along with experimental, noise, psytrance, industrial, and acid jazz.

My Faves for these styles of music due to their to me greater overall playability, better suited modern sound, fit, and asthetics are: BC Rich, Jackson, Schecter, upper end ESP Ltd, Traben, Monson, Peavey Cirrus, and most boutique basses. I include the latter due to the usual individual customer input for basses makeup and fit along with these basses being most often imo bought by those who dont want the ordinary and are pushing the limits of their playing rather then just doing the standard thing bass playing wise. I inlcude Peavey Cirrus in part from the bass Player for Emperor useing em. Lol.

So whats your fave basses for extreme music?

2. What's the best bass for metal? :bag:

3. passive jazz.

4. I'll play.

I think a Sterling is perfect for grindcore and crust punk. Not sure how extreme that is.

5. Pretty sure their bassist uses Warwicks.

6. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I've played prog death / deathcore on a '75 Rickenbacker 4001, my Schecter CV-5, an SX P-J, and my old Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 mostly.

Current metal favorites: Fender HW1 with SPB-1 pickup and Roto 66 Drop zones and Carvin B4 with Roto 66 Drop Zones.

7. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    I'd think Ibanez deserves a place in your list for sure. Affordable, very decent quality, and the tonal options and playability work great for that style of music. Personally their styling isn't really my cup of tea with the exception of the natural finish ATK and a few others, but sonically and feel-wise they fit the bill.

Other good instruments for extreme music include Spector, quite a few Peaveys both vintage and new, and honestly... i think there are quite a few traditional passive basses that work great for metal, whether we're talking traditional hard-rock type metal or even the extreme genres, just depending what you're looking for (how fast / thin of a neck you need, whether you need the ability to sculpt the tone on the bass or not). Enslaved make good use of both thunderbirds and rickenbackers, and I even saw Primordial playing with an Epiphone Thunderbird of all things, still sounded great. A lot of local metal bands in Los Angeles have been reverting to the classic instruments lately as I keep seeing Rics and P basses around. You could theoretically use a Fender Jazz I suppose, but generally I feel like they're not quite hard-hitting enough for what i'd want out of a metal bass. Personally I think I could make do with a passive PJ and an aguilar tone hammer type of preamp pedal for most metal situations unless i needed a reaaaaally fast neck.

Another really good option are G&L ASAT's and L-2000/2500's... as evidenced by the bass player from Dillinger Escape Plan. It really boils down to personal taste just like everything else.

8. tomas_almeida

tomas_almeida

Oct 5, 2007
    Portugal
    I thought Warwick's and Fenders were the best for extreme music, but after getting my Dingwall Combustion not anymore. The tone I get from it in series has all the growl that a 'wick has but it is a lot more balanced and with more "finesse", and this comparing with the 5000€ + models, such as the Infinity.
    My Combustion costed me 1500 € and sounds even better than a friend of mine's Infinity!

So, for extreme music, where most of the times you'll need very low notes, you can't get better than a Dingwall with new stainless strings and, if you like it, a tube amp.

9. drteeth

drteeth

Apr 1, 2008
    Leuven, Belgium
    One with strings

10. Elrend

Elrend

Feb 24, 2008
    Norway
    Doing quite a bit of noisy free-improv nowadays, I just use my regular ol`Wick.

I think tone takes a backseat to understanding the concept of dissonant counterpoint (as well as crappy distortion pedals, that's always a plus for that kind of stuff.)

While for extreme electronic music, you could be playing a passive p-bass with 50 year old flats and nobody would be able to tell due to your massive arsenal of effects.

11. Spector.

/thread

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ishouldbeking...> Yup Ibanez would be on my list if I wasnt being forgetfull. Lol. Likes your idea about how preamps like tonehammer and others can take nice passive bass and make it more suitable. Is true.

tomas..> Dingwalls, yup nice boutique line imo.

13. eligos36

eligos36

Jan 6, 2009
    I modified my 2008 Peavey Grind (the ones with the mahogany wings), and it sounds great for my band's style, which is mainly black metal but dips into death metal, doom metal, and folk metal.

Warwicks work very well for doom metal because of that tight low end.

Ibanez makes great basses for modern death metal (Soundgear for Tech Death and BTB for Brutal Death).

I've actually played a Dingwall and they're impressive.

14. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    eligos36...> Bet that does sound great. Peavey Grind with mahogany wings, humbucker pups, active eq. Can I ask what mods you did to it?

15. Just play something really cheap until the obligatory Schecter endorsement. That way the Schecter will feel positively high quality by comparison!

Why did that just make me laugh.

16. Because he is implying that they are different genres, when tehy really arent. :p

17. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    well to those that play those genres (i don't, personally) or listen intensively (i do!), there's a pretty big difference. Obviously we're still talking death metal so there will be overlap between genres, but there's a pretty big difference between bands like Atheist and Cynic (tech death) and Cannibal Corpse and Devourment (brutal). Some people might argue that brutal death is an umbrella term for all non-melodic death metal (melodic death metal meaning bands like In Flames, Dark Tranquility, etc), but these days its seemed to become a more specific sub-genre. Ah, the infinite complexities of metal, haha. I know its all lost on the non-fans out there, so apologies if i'm boring you. Think of it like the differences between bebop and acid jazz, if that helps.

18. Cynic is tech death? Like Nile and that one band with the guy on the fretless thumb?

But Cynic actually plays music.

19. BrewCityLdB

BrewCityLdB

Jun 28, 2008
    Milton, WA
    I'm going to play devil's advocate and say... What does it matter? You can never hear the bass in death/black metal anyway. :D

And yes, I am a fan of extreme metal so don't get your panties in a bunch. It's a joke. :p

20. This
    [​IMG]
    with this
    BOSS-OD-3.