Favorite 15” Speaker cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sayclean, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Sayclean

Sayclean

Jul 26, 2009
    Nashville, TN
    ... What is your favorite 15” Speaker Cabinet and why?

2. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I was using an Ampeg 410 and thought I'd add an Ampeg 115. I hated it. Just sounded woolly and undefined.

My Mesa 115 EV was a fantastic cab. Clear, punchy, huge sound and I played it for 10 years, until my back went!

The best 115 I owned was a Dynacord BS412 EV combo in the 80's. Sonic magic and impressive German engineering.

The next best 115 I've heard, although I never owned one, was the original Barefaced Compact. Huge and high quality soundscape.

3. I love my compact, composite Thunderchild 115. It has deep, well defined lows and sweet highs. Weighs somewhere around 35 lbs and takes up the same real estate as my Bergantino AE112.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    DukeLeJeune likes this.
  4. frankzelf

frankzelf

Jun 16, 2009
    The Fender Bassman Neo 115!
    Round but not boomy, punchy, articulate and light. IMG_20180118_011034.jpg

5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Bag End S15 (s15d, etc.) 8 ohm.

Deep, punchy, responsive, traditional sound. Handles power, but fairly sensitive. Substantial but compact, and at 40lbs, a reasonable weight. Sturdy and professional looking, with a tone profile that experienced soundmen/women will know well.

15’s tend to project and not bloom their sound out on the stage, but two of these stacked gets the driver up towards the bass player’s ear and works well for monitoring on stage.

The perfect balance of a cab.

6. webmonster

webmonster

May 19, 2013
    New Zealand
    TL 606 cabs loaded with eminence 3015ho.

7. Another vote for the Bassman Pro Neo 115s. They're not at all wooly and are tight sounding but still very round and thick. Sound great with both my Super Bassman and my V4B
    20160429_164158.jpg

tshapiro, TideSwing and frankzelf like this.
  8. frankzelf

frankzelf

Jun 16, 2009
    Hey rodl2005! Same configuration here!
    IMG_20180104_031827.jpg

Stumbo and rodl2005 like this.
  9. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Mesa Subway 115.
    Light loud sounds killer.

Element Zero and Jamie_Funk like this.
  10. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    The best sounding (to my ears) 115 cab I have ever owned was a Berg HT-115 (chrome grill). I had a stacked pair of those and they absolutely ROCKED! :thumbsup:

I'm still trying to locate the malfunctioning neuron in my brain that convinced me to sell that stack! :bag:

murphy likes this.
  11. My favorite was an old cab with a 15” Electro Voice. I had 2 410 cabs and a Mesa Powerhouse jr (Eden 12 + 4 Celestion 8’s) but they couldn’t come close to the classic tone of that single EV. The best speaker tone I’ve ever had.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  12. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Mesa Walkabout Scout .... both the combo cab and the matching extension cab. By itself the combo is pretty tough. Stacked, they are thunderous. They are both clear and HUGE sounding.

I was just out in the bonus room practicing through the combo. Dang. Such a great sound. Defined but BIG.

Stumbo and bebi like this.
  13. Bald-N-Bassy

Bald-N-Bassy Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Eastern NC
    Ive been contemplating a Fender neo 115. Do you like it by itself? or better in pairs?

Stumbo likes this.
  14. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
  15. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Another vote for the Bag End S15D, probably the best sounding single 15" cab I've played through.
    I've played just about every cab configuration/combination there is but I have had more 15's than anything else. They are the only type speaker I use right now. There is just something about 15's, especially 2x15 cabs, that just matches the "sound in my head".

16. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    BE865F66-B0FA-4F1B-A2FB-7818EEA4C163.jpeg
    Lightweight, incredibly articulate, and can absolutely pound.

17. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I played a Markbass NY15 for years and that was a great sounding 115.

Jason Hollar and SJan3 like this.
  18. BobKos

BobKos Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Back in the 80's I owned a Sunn 2 X 15 cab. It was a metal grille modern type for it's day. Don't know the exact model. It sounded fantastic. Wish I never sold it. Wish I could find another.

Chasbo likes this.
  19. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Bayside, New York
    I agree with you and feel exactly the same way..

wave rider likes this.
  20. bassgrackle

bassgrackle Gold Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2010
    Fearless F115, loud, punchy and defined.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021