Favorite Bridge Adjusters

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Wyzird05, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Wyzird05

Dec 1, 2003
    South Bend, IN
    Does anyone have a favorite brand or style of bridge adjusters? I have purchased the Stenholms and like the way look and so does my luthier, especially the large wheel. However, he wasn’t sure he wanted to install them because the threaded section is so wide in diamerter. He said he prefers to install the type of wheel with a separate staff and wheel. Is there any disadvantage to this style vs. a one piece adjuster. Now the luthier I take my bass to is mainly a violin, viola, and cello guy so is it worth my trouble to drive to Chicago, Indy, or Grand Rapids and have the Stenholms installed?
  2. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    From where you're sitting, it looks like the closest bass shop would be Classic Contrabass, which is Michelle Fiori, (847) 670-0322. It may be worth the drive for you if your local guy isn't comfortable with installing the wheels you want. Michelle is very meticulous about her set-ups, so I would think you'd be pretty happy with her install of the bigger wheels. Her advice on the subject may help you decide also.

In terms of what style wheel is best, the signs seem to indicate that there is no single answer. If your violin guy has one he likes to install, then it may be worth going that route solely because he's comfortable installing them and has used the model in the past. I don't really think it's solely the wheel, but the craftsmanship that pays the dividend.

G/L Wyz! :)