1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Crooner ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by the harp unstrung, Feb 29, 2016.

1. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung What would Fred Rogers do? Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Anthony Benedetto...
    'nuff said...

andruca, themarshall, elgecko and 3 others like this.
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I don't listen to enough to have a true favourite and I feel cliché picking Sinatra. I do know you Yanks love Bublé though. When I drove across the States he was by far the most played Canadian artist. Mind you, this was a few years back, 2010-2012ish.

Since Benedetto is your favourite, give me a "must hear" album to find please and thanks.

47th Street likes this.
  3. I think if Lady Gaga decided to play it seriously, she'd be the next best female crooner in the world.

She cut that album "Cheek To Cheek" with Tony Bennett and I was astounded that she had range, sincerity and a soul in her voice.

Just wow!! Lots of WoW!

4. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea

alembicguy and 47th Street like this.
  5. Till Brönner

47th Street likes this.
  6. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    In the cool, cool, cool of the evening? Bing'll do me.
    Tell 'em I'll be there.

47th Street likes this.
  7. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Dean Martin

sissy kathy and Jimmy4string like this.
  8. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dec 14, 2011
    Planet Earth
    Frank always was and still is. Everyone else is just copying his game. Sinatra defined the genre, set the standard, and opened the door for others to follow. And they're still trying to follow his lead.

9. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Personally, I have never been a fan of Frank Sinatra. I do like Michael Buble. My parents were Dean Martin fans.

10. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung What would Fred Rogers do? Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    Tony Bennett was my mom's guy...and he's my guy, too.
    My da was a Nat King Cole guy.
    It's much like #1 and 1a...

ahc likes this.
  11. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Vic Fontaine.

47th Street likes this.
  12. Dean Martin and a very good modern one is James Hunter -love his stuff and he is incredible live!

47th Street likes this.
  13. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    One immediate example...just listen to how many people try and sing "My Way"-HIS-way at the karaoke bars.

47th Street likes this.
  14. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    I like lots of crooners, overall though, Sinatra is my favorite vocalist, crooner or otherwise.

He has recorded over 1200 songs (lots were different versions of the same song), not including short songs or parodies or radio spots.
    Out of the 60 or so hours of tunes of his I have, I can only spot a clinker/off-key note on 1% of them, all natural w/o pitch correction.

To me, Frank's singing style was delivered with such ease he may as well have been talking.

Dean Martin may sound like he had more fun singing and perhaps sang slightly more whimsical tunes than Sinatra, his perfect pitch, however, was sometimes up for grabs

47th Street likes this.
  15. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    He didn't have the best voice in the world, but no one used their voice as an instrument like Sinatra.

47th Street likes this.
  16. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    There are others of that era whose tone was better or more unique, such as Tony Bennett's, but he sure sang flat quite a bit of the time.

I thought he was slightly better on those alleged "live" recordings that many artists from all eras seem to market.

In all fairness to him and others of that era who's pitch was slightly off, was said to be the quintessential Jazz style.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  17. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Quoted for truth.

18. I don't have any particular favorite, but I do like Bobby Darin, as well as Sinatra.

47th Street likes this.
  19. Raul Malo from The Mavericks.

gypsyfelon and elgecko like this.
  20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest

ahc, Pentatonic, gypsyfelon and 2 others like this.