Favorite DI???

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 26, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

mine is the Demeter Tube DI box. soo warm, and so fresh and so clean. :p

but always nice to have my Radial JDI in the ol' gigbag, too.
  2. supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Bump. I'm in the market for a bass DI so I'm interested in folks' opinions....
  3. Starwind

Mar 26, 2005
    check effect forum. there's a LONG LONG thread about favorite DI.

I just got a BBE DI-1000 and love it :D
  4. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Avalon U5. Mine's for sale as I am going with a SABDDI for live use instead.
  5. Where's it for sale and for how much? I may be in the market for one :bassist:
  6. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    I have the Demeter Tube Direct too!!
    Great D.I. for bass but the U5 is not bad too. I found the fundamentals more present with the Avalon thought.
  7. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'm in the market for an all around (not just bass) DI. Has anyone used the Avalon for other instruments? How would it compare to something like the Countryman 85?
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the U5 blows it out of the water, then runs up on shore to kick it a few times before flinging it to the dumpster...

9. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Haha, excellent description.

I don't doubt that it's a sweet piece of gear, but how audible is the difference? Is this something easily heard or is it one of those things where you can only hear it after 12 layered tracks of DI'd guitar? Is it worth 4x the price?
  10. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Yeah, I wish. I'm a firm believer in listening in lieu of asking online but as that's not an option I figured some impressions would be good for now. Thanks!
  11. Hi there! I use an Ampeg Tube Di. I buyed it just for testing and I was surprised by it's tone. It has a switch to choose between tube or solid state mode. The solid state mode doesn't change your tone but Ampeg's tube gives you absolutely great warm tube tones. Especially sweet lows. I strongly recommend this unit to every bassplayer! :)
  12. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Little Labs Multi-Z is great for passive instruments where you want to capture the true tone, and also for sussing out hum and buzz issues (saved my @$$ more times than i can remember, especially with Mid-Z for MusicMans).

For tone/color boxes, Aguilar tube DI and Groove Tubes Ditto are great. Eclair Engineering Evil Twin is the monster of 'em all though, $$$!
  13. lefty

Sep 25, 2004
    the groove tube brick get`s rave revues from recording .com. they say it`s excellent on bass.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Some of you may laugh, but I've used Whirlwind IMP 2 DI's from situations ranging from small club to arenas, and I've never been disappointed. Is it as good as an Avalon or other such highend DI? No, but it's around $60, works without phantom power, indestructible, and the sound is plenty good for live work.
  15. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
  16. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    My U5. Got it for recording, but it's turned into my live preamp as well. Great box.
  17. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Doesn't surprise me one bit... a famous NYC studio had these homemade DIs that were basically a metal box with a transformer inside. Passive, no phantom or battery needed, and bassists and engineers alike still rave about them when that studio is mentioned. Sometimes simplicity is magical.