1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite "emotional" guitar solo

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Mar 30, 2006.

1. I'm sure something like this has been done before but i couldn't find anything in the search.

What is your favorite guitar solo that isn't really about the speed of the notes but more the emotions it makes you feel?

If you don't know what I'm talking about John Frusciante's (from Red Hot CHili Peppers) solo on "Californication" It is nothing to special technically but I think it is just amazing and gives me this indescribable feeling every time I hear it.

whats your favorite "emotional" guitar solo?

....and I don't mean emo.

2. Hendrix - The Wind Cries Mary

smoove.

3. Steve Hackett's guitar solo on "Firth of Fifth". This is on the Genesis "Selling England by the Pound" album. Steve makes his guitar cry in a way that it's sound still sends chills through me.

Paul Mac

4. Pink Floyd's comfortably numb.

I just about cry when listening to it.

5. Marilyn Manson - Fundamentally Loathsome

Sweet, sweet solo. The song is very bluesy. And John 5 is just a ****ing great guitar player (don't think Zim Zum recorded that one).

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I like the demo tracks for Hendrix's 'Bold as Love' and 'Little Wing.'

7. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Frank Zappa's "Watermelon In Easter Hay" from "Joe's Garage".

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Europa

9. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland
    Alice in Chains - Dirt
    - Love, Hate, Love
    - Sickman

I love Jerry Cantrell's stuff. :hyper:

Edit: How could I forget: Screaming Trees - Make My Mind

10. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Comfortably Numb!!!! WOW :eek:
    one of the best solos ever

Rush - Limelight

Dream Theater - Lines In The Sand (a great emotional solo from a guy who isn't exactly known for them)

Neil Young - Cortez The Killer

Porcupine Tree - Sound of Muzak and Arriving Somewhere...
    Steven Wilson is a genius when it comes to solos!

Steve Howe (from Yes) has some good ones, like And You And I

11. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Unfortunately almost unknown Hendrix track called "Hey Baby" (Land of the New Rising Sun). There are two solos in it; one at the intro and the second one in the middle of the song.

Anyone really interested in hearing an emotive solo would find it well worth their time to search this song out.

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Confortably Numb

I almost cried when I saw it at Liveaid and everytime I hear it shivers go down my spine.

13. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Agreed. Best Hendrix track IMHO.

14. mvw356

mvw356

Mar 2, 2006
    Brussels
    anything by david gilmour is a good try, check out the first solo of pigs (the one with the talk box). also check the intro solo to shine on you crazy diamond. the simplicity and gilmour's playing are awesome.

also check mark knopfler, anything by him is emotive, beautyfull and fits the song perfectly. not really flashy either.
    nuff talk about guitarists

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The beginning of Steely Dan's "Don't Take Me Alive", and Michael Stern's solo in "Goodbye Again".

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Seeing this thread also made me think of Carlton...like "Spiral" & "Kid Charlemagne".

Emotional solos not about the speed/notes also brings Santana to mind(e.g. "Black Magic Woman")

I'm also thinking Beck's solo on "Cause We Ended As Lovers", Kath's "25 Or 6 To 4" solo, etc

17. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    That's the first one that came to my mind.

18. zazz

zazz

Feb 27, 2004
    Cebu
    +++1 for this track break

i thought of this one first (and i know the bit you mean) before i even read your post so i think this must be worth a listen to anyone who wants to hear something that will really take you.

19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

A big ol' +1. I'm glad someone else recognizes the greatness that is this guitar solo.

I have a version of "Riviera Paradise" by SRV that is pretty astounding. It might be compounded by the fact that it's from the last show he ever played.

And, you can add any solo by Sonny Sharrock on "Ask the Ages," too....

20. absolutely...proves that less is often more . you should check out his solo cd's . Amazing musician :)