FAVORITE Lightweight Vertical 212 Cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Treebeard, May 7, 2018.

1. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    Hello! I'm researching which couple of lightweight vertical 2x12" cabinets to go after. One for small gigs, two for bigger gigs, so I'll need them at 8 ohms. Bonus points if they can handle a wide variety of amp types and wattages. I'm just seeing what you girls and boys like and have experience playing.

Many thanks!

Last edited: May 7, 2018
    jeff7bass likes this.
  2. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    How much money you want to spend?

Treebeard likes this.
  3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Bergantino HDN212.

dcheming, Burwabit, Al Kraft and 2 others like this.
  4. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    Here's a cool link because you can see so many together. That Berg looks nice but it ain't cheap!
    2x12 bass cabinet | eBay

Speedhitter, BassTank84 and Treebeard like this.
  5. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    You beat me by one second...

Al Kraft, Treebeard and Munjibunga like this.
  6. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    I'd like to do a grand...I don't mind saving for more if it's exactly what I want and I love buying used stuff. Thanks!

7. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    Keep in mind with a high-end cab, you will RARELY need two of them, if ever.

Jeff Scott, MTN.bass72 and Treebeard like this.
  8. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Bergantino CN212, although I've been so impressed by the Changeling 112T that I suspect one of Duke's 212 cabs would be outstanding as well.

Goatrope and Treebeard like this.
  9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass Inactive

Apr 9, 2009
    Treebeard likes this.
  10. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    I have heard that, it's just that I'm over 6' and I have trouble hearing myself when the all the sound is hitting below my waist. That's just my experience. I'm also new to larger outdoor stages as well.

jeff7bass likes this.
  11. Primakurtz

Primakurtz Registered Nihilist Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2011
    Denver, Colorado
    Probably not the exact answer you are looking for, but I am 6'5" and play in some pretty loud bands & situations. My Barefaced Super Twin is all I ever need. 4 ohms, though, so unless you get a 2 ohm-friendly amp or run them in series a pair won't work.

12. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Richlands, NC
    GK NEO 212, I am 6'2'' and have no trouble hearing it.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
  13. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Genzler mg212t without a doubt in my mind .I picked one up a few months ago to replace my 4x12, and I couldn't be happier .so much punch and low end, and I can one-hand it to any gig .

S-Bigbottom, eff-clef and smogg like this.
  14. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    At 6'4" I use one vertical 4ohm 2x12 sporting EV Pros powered by a GK1001 rbII. It's loud enough to leave bruises. No problem hearing or feeling it.

thumb_IMG_0662_1024.jpg

BabySpy, jeff7bass, Tonecraft and 6 others like this.
  15. chaak

chaak

Apr 25, 2013
    now here
    Barefaced Big Twin II

16. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Audiokinesis Hathor 212 baby! Weighs around 43 pounds and delivers the goods!

Hathor 212

ee41c50027aedb5f06c1a3049200d4b1?AccessKeyId=93F08412D9757094B88A&disposition=0&alloworigin=1.jpg

17. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I've never owned a 212 so I can't say. Heard nothing but good things about all things from Barefaced cabs.

I would like to try a Baer 212 based on my experience with the single 112. Two of them in tandem is quite a treat.

jeff7bass, Primakurtz and Treebeard like this.
  18. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    I was going to mention that cab, but thought it wasn't "vertical enough". However, I agree with you in terms of having no trouble hearing myself when one of those is behind me!

Treebeard and bass40hz like this.
  19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Gigged my CN212 for the first time this weekend and was thoroughly impressed.

Goatrope, Treebeard and Al Kraft like this.
  20. groovaholic

groovaholic Protect your hearing. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    It's a good format, and there are several people making good cabs in this format.

The vertical orientation will help prevent comb filtering and improve vertical dispersion -- which makes it easier to hear the cab wherever you stand in the room.

I was all set to build a Bill Fitzmaurice Simplexx 212 when I found an LDS cab on the classified ads here for essentially the cost of parts.

I used to gig with a pair of 410 cabs -- and I've been entirely satisfied with the SOUND of this cab.

The fact that it weighs 60% of what ONE of my 410 cabs weitghed is a big bonus, but not the reason for my purchase.

FWIW this cab is loaded with Eminence Kappalite 3012HO drivers and an 18Sound horn.
    I though I'd hear a hole in the mids and want to modify it into a 3-way cab, but I don't... GK+LDS Rig.jpg