Favorite post-Gabriel Genesis

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Yogi Bear, Aug 5, 2004.

1. Wind & Wuthering

0 vote(s)
  2. A Trick Of The Tail

4 vote(s)
  3. Seconds Out

2 vote(s)
  4. And Then There Were Three

1 vote(s)
  5. Duke

4 vote(s)
  6. Abacab

1 vote(s)
  7. Three Sides Live

1 vote(s)
  8. Genesis (Perfection)

1 vote(s)
  9. Invisible Touch

0 vote(s)
  10. We Can't Dance

1 vote(s)
  1. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I pulled out my vinyl copies of Abacab and Duke the other week and since listening to them I ran out to buy both on CD. There's some really great material on these records.

I still prefer the majority of the Gabriel era Genesis, but was wondering what was / is anyone's favorite post-Gabriel Genesis album?
  2. I voted, And then there were three.

Loved Mike Rutherfords tone on that album . :bassist:
  3. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The eponymous 1984 release. That was the swan song for their prog-rock leanings. The songs are pretty good overall, and I love "Second Home By The Sea."
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

My first exposure to them on FM radio was from "A Trick of the Tail" so that's how I voted. Nowadays though, it's hard to get past "Selling England by the Pound" and "Foxtrot".

Phil Collins' is such a good drummer, I have a tough time knockin' his later poppy poop.
  5. I don't. Crap is crap-- made worse because he's done better. Of course people don't necessarily want what's better for them. But that still doesn't mean it isn't crap.

While once again I find myself standing with Josh on a particular opinion-- I find everything up to Genesis to be at least tolerable, though We Can't Dance had its moments-- it'll be Wind and Wuthering for me thanks. Would have been stronger without Wot Gorilla and Mouse's Night, but the rest of it has a feel they never got with Gabriel (not to say it's better) and that they never got again once Hackett left.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Call me uncultured, but I only really liked "Land of Confusion." One song, and that was about it. I tried, but I guess maybe I got the worst batch of songs possible to represent them, both pre and post Gabriel.
  7. I thought this was religious at first... :)
  8. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    My first exposure to Genesis was the live album "Seconds Out" and I still think that it is one of the better live albums that I have heard. I actually like the live versions of "Suppers Ready" and "Firth of Fifth" better than the studio versions.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    All I have is We Can't Dance...

10. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Duke was an absolute favorite during by long past college days (1980-1981 yikes!).

Interestingly, I can't listen to it much anymore, as it just sounds 'dated'.
  11. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    we've been covering this one for about three months now
    fun, fun, fun stuff!
  12. As a recording, I agree with what you wrote, but I still enjoy a lot of the songs on there:

Behind the Lines
    Guide Vocal
    Turn It On Again
    Cul de Sac
    Dukes Journey/ End

At one point I would listen to that recording non-stop and it still ranks as one of my favorites.
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You people that have only heard their pop stuff like We Can't Dance and Land of Confusion, or have only heard the pre-Gabriel stuff, need to go pick up some of their good stuff ASAP. Check out The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, Selling England By the Pound or Foxtrot (those are my three favorites).

If all you've heard is "From Genesis to Revelation" or anything after 1983 or so then try to get ahold of one of those three and check it out. It's good stuff.

brad cook
  14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Abacab was the first I bought pre or post Gabriel. and the one I voted for. I'm trying to get my band to do "No Reply At All"

I've got "Duke", "Abacab" and "We can't Dance". Great Pop band, Great entertainers. I much prefer Peter's solo work to anything Genesis released.
  15. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I agree! Seconds Out is a classic! Anything past the album with "Mama" on it was not really worth investing in.
  16. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    It's interesting to see the evolution of Phil Collins, from impressive drummer of an English art-rock/prog band to becoming a fully-indebted indentured servant of Disney. I use to respect the man for what I believed was art. I have to say that I dig Peter Gabriel that much more, now.

Oh yes, "Foxtrot", and "Wind and Wuthering" are the only Genesis I need.
  17. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Absolutely. In my mind it seems like he's never strayed from the art. Part of the art for him is presentation too though, not just the music. He was the same way in Genesis.

Oh man, how can you leave out Lamb Lies Down on Broadway? And Selling England by the Pound?

brad cook
  18. Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    DigMe wrote:
    Oh man, how can you leave out Lamb Lies Down on Broadway? And Selling England by the Pound?

brad cook
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway. Had I known that I would've ordered a much larger sandwich." -Mitch Hedberg

I left them out because they have already been mentioned in other posts. Of course, they're wonderful.

****, now that I think about it, "Trick of the Tail" is calling me now!

Haha! I love Mitch Hedberg! Have you ever seen him live? He's a riot.
  19. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I leave them "out" cause they get played alot! :D
  20. I thought you were leaving them out because the thread was about post-Gabriel Genesis. ;)

If we're going to include him, though, The Lamb would be one of my two desert island discs, the other being Sgt Peppers.