1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite PREMIUM Strap ??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FL Knifemaker, Mar 6, 2008.

1. I've been looking at whats availalble at GC and haven't really been impressed. Are there any makers of high end straps?? I'd really like something on the level of custom handgun leather. Premium cowhide, suede lined, exotic inlays, PERFECT sticthing, etc. Anyone doing anthing like that??

Also what would be the most you would spend for a really high end strap if they were available?? What special features do you look for or prefer if any??

$100? $150?? $200 for something REALLY nice with NICE inlays???

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I know what you mean about the selection at GC! Some GDawful stuff there and why is it any of the better ones always have about 25 cr4ppy straps in front of them on the rack!

I'm a Comfort Strapp man, cheapies compared to what you are describing!

Have you had a look at the Moody TB strap available at the store? It looks like it might meet you specs!

3. FlatAffect

FlatAffect

Jan 17, 2008
    New York, NY
    Well there are the Moody straps: www.moodyleather.com. Supposedly excellent quality if you want to splurge on a strap. I believe they make the Talkbass Bass Clef ones too.

4. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
  5. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I second what Thunderritter said. I love the Pro Comfort Straps. Relatively cheap, and the most comfortable straps I've ever used. I have 4 or 5 of them - all my basses and even one on a Tele Deluxe. But if you're jonesin' for a custom leather strap, you probably won't be happy until you get one.

6. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
  7. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
  8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I have one Comfort Strap and really like it.

All the rest are Levy which I have no complaints about.

I have to admit to being anal enough that I usually match the strap color to the bass :D

Most of the Levy straps are in the $50 range and I'm really not interested in spending much more than that.

9. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    I have a black padded comfort strapp. I wish I had 4.

10. Thanks for the links. It's good to see $200 plus straps. If I have one of my sheath or holster guys make me one, it will be at least that much. I might have a few extras made up and see if there's any interest.

Right now one of them has some KILLER green lizzard skin and some burnt orange ostrich leg skin. I want to get one in dark brown leather with the lizzard as an inlay for my Surf Green Fender. I'd like to get a second one it black sharkskin with the ostrich for my gold Peavey. With having sheaths custom made, I've become pretty good at knowing what leather works with others and what the leather guys capacity is. The guy with the leather I'm interested in right now does KILLER work but he aint cheap.........but for what he produces, that's OK :) I'll post some pics in a few weeks when they arrive.

11. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Medina Made....pure custom.

L1010701.

L1010662.

DSC_0002.

I'm also quite impressed by eyeland straps (they range from weird to elegant)

12. Between my son and I we must have 10 comfort straps!! They work great but I'm wanting something more refined that compliments my basses. Strap gas :rolleyes:

if I have the holster and sheath guys make mine, they will be straightforward leather, suede backing, window inlays and saddle stitching. No tooling, conchos, lacing or anything like that. They could even line them with Kevlar to keep them from stretching, the way they make the gun belts :) They could even to matching bass staps and belts!!

13. simongpaez

simongpaez Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2005
    The Woodlands , Texas
    Moody big time, no better strap than this, expensive yes, worth every $, yes

14. treebranch13

treebranch13

Oct 31, 2007
    Italia leather straps
    3" or 4" strap with italian leather and napa suede for only $70-80. IT is amazing

15. I LIKE these Specialty ones pics above!!! BUT I need a good strap- or a couple.
    What I want is:- either ALL neoprene- & therefore a bit "springy" OR a nylon/leather one with a 3" wide NEOPRENE-read "soft" bit on it covering where it goes over the shoulder! Danged if I can find one like this here in Oz.

16. Buy them off ebay for $20. That is what I did, right from the source. Great strap as well. Although I would like to try a moody just to see what all the hype is about.

lowsound

17. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

I love mine and plan on buying another for my 6 string....
    strap-001.

... but I don't think it's on the level being looked for here.

I got mine off eBay too

18. I like Levy's straps. I have this one:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PM44T01Wal/

This one:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MSS13Dbr/

And this one:
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DM1FFBRN/

Check out www.sweetwater.com for guitar equipment, accessories and guitars. They have a huge selection of straps, give personalized customer service (someone is actually assigned to you and emails you, sometimes calls if there is a back order, etc. The guy that works with me is Matt. They treat you like you're a recordsing artist instead of an Average Joe like MF.

19. Moody's are my favorite! I own 2 of them. Also italia in a close second. I own 3 of them.

20. jonnychicago

jonnychicago

Mar 20, 2006
    Chicago
    may not fit, but i just got a strap from souldierstraps in chicago. they are hand made from vintage seat belts, but they also have a pretty cool selection. bought by wilco and such.

anyway: http://souldier.us

...and they are sooo comfortable!