1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite round wound string poll

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Doug4321, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Steel

23 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Nickel

48 vote(s)
    55.8%
  3. Cobalt or other material

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Medium standard gauge~45-105

36 vote(s)
    41.9%
  5. Lighter gauge

18 vote(s)
    20.9%
  6. Heavier gauge

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  7. Rotosound

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  8. D'Addario

19 vote(s)
    22.1%
  9. Dunlop

13 vote(s)
    15.1%
  10. Ernie Ball

12 vote(s)
    14.0%
  11. DR

24 vote(s)
    27.9%
  12. Dean Markley

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
  13. GHS

19 vote(s)
    22.1%
  14. Elixir

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  15. Fender

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  16. La Bella

7 vote(s)
    8.1%
  17. Thomastik-infeld

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  18. Pyramid

3 vote(s)
    3.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Doug4321

Doug4321

May 29, 2017
    Oregon
    To go along with the flat wound string poll.

So far the only stand outs I've found are Rotosounds. The others seem plain vanilla, nothing too colorful.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I like heavier gauge DR Hi Beams and DDTs. :)

3. I'm a die-hard "nickel" guy, including nickel-plated steel, pure nickel and nickel-iron alloy. (That's a Canadian nickel in my avatar. ;))

I like what GHS has done with the Round Core Boomers (NPS), the Balanced Nickels (PN) and the Pressurewounds (nickel-iron).

Root 5, Arthur U. Poon and saabfender like this.
  4. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I put some balanced Fodera mediums on my 5-string a couple days ago. Truly blown away. That bass has never played nor sounded that good. Everything else has D'Addario Balanced Tensions.

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Lefty Duke 2.JPG 4003 Ric 1.JPG Well, this is kind of complicated... As a general rule, I don't much care for round wound strings on a bass - or a guitar, either, for that matter... Currently, I have 24 basses. Of those, 3 are being worked on, and have no strings; 11 of them have either flats or tapes; and the other 10 have round wounds. But, of those 10, only these two have rounds because I actually do like the strings. The Kramer Duke has 50-107 short scale GHS Boomers; the 4003 Rick has factory 40-95 Light Gauge Nickel Rounds. But, unfortunately, it won't have them for much longer. RIC stopped offering them several years ago, and it's wearing my last set. So, when they die - and it won't be long, now - they'll be replaced by a set of Optima RB flats... The other 8 basses have EB Hybrid Slinkys on them. I use the Slinkys as a "baseline" string on pretty much every bass I buy, to help me find the strings that will get me the sound I want from that bass. IMO, they're very good for that. Plus, they're very consistent, quality-wise; inexpensive; readily available; and, if I have to play rounds, I like nickel rounds. They might wind up staying on 2 or 3 of those basses, though, because I'm thinking that a "Generic Bass" tone is all I want from them, anyway...:cool:

6. After 40-odd years of trying everything, I always come back to GHS. Of course, on the other hand, I am the embodiment of 'take good care of your strings . . . . . and they'll go dead anyway'.

Arthur U. Poon likes this.
  7. Tough one! I have 3 basses in the rotation. They usually have nickel Elixirs, but once in a while I try some Dunlop Super Brights or Cobalt rounds for a couple weeks. I had to vote on a few.

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    GHS Boomers are my #1, but I've also used D'Addario XLs and Ernie Ball Slinkys quite a bit.

9. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    EB Super Slinky (45-100) for standard tuning. They just feel and sound right to me. Plus, I can easily keep them on the bass for up to like 6 months and don't mind the broken in tone. They're my go to string for my Stingray. I tried plenty other nickel roundwounds (Daddario, DRs, Labella, Dunlop etc etc) but none of those work for me in the tone and feel department as well as Super Slinkies.

10. I like pure nickel rounds and stainless steel rounds. Honourable mention to alloy 52 rounds.

11. Doug4321

Doug4321

May 29, 2017
    Oregon
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021