Favorite rounds of dedicated flatwound users?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by armybass, Jun 19, 2017.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am curious as to what rounds those folks who fancy themselves as predominantly flatwound users like? I love LaBella and TI flats but have had my roundwound world turned out.... I have been a recent D'Addario Nickel XL convert in the past few years and I used to like DR's. I am looking for more fundamental pitch, less zing yet I really must have a very flexible string for my carpal tunnel and neuropathy.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    TI jazz rounds are the answer.

3. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I'm still searching. I use TI flats on my P bass and it's perfect. I have a EBMM Sterling that I keep switching rounds on, trying to find "the tone". It's a little on the hot side output wise, so I've been trying to find strings that aren't so zingy. I've kind of settled on Round Core Boomers, but I had forgotten about Gorns answer of the TI Rounds. Those may end my search.

Pantone 333 likes this.
  4. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    For rounds I prefer nickel DRs, either Sunbeam or Lo-Rider, depending on how stiff you like your strings. They give you a classic round tone, but not crazy bright and focus on the fundamental really well.

Bodeanly and armybass like this.
  5. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Pffft! Save your money.

shawshank72 likes this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Easy answer, D'Addario EXL170BT's. Nice and inexpensive. The Balanced Tension is swift on the wrist. Beautiful. Easy. Affordable. Long lasting too. An easy 90 to 120 playing hour stringset.

armybass likes this.
  7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    worn in dunlop nickels are really dark and pretty flexible if you like that sort of thing

armybass likes this.
  8. e-flat

e-flat

Jun 15, 2009
    Washington State
    I always come back to DR Sunbeams when I need rounds. I'd love to try some others but the Sunbeams give me what I am looking for.

And I likes this.
  9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    Ti jazz rounds or DR sunbeams.

e-flat likes this.
  10. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Sunbeams, Hi Beams, or Dunlop super brights.

11. I am currently using Labella's Stainless round wounds on 3 of my 13 basses I am liking them a lot so far. the others with round wound are DR Neons

12. jchrisk1

jchrisk1 Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern MI
    TI jazz rounds are the only rounds I like. Been through lots of them, and didn't like any. I still play mainly flats, but keep the jazz rounds on one bass.

As far as saving money goes, those TI jazz rounds will last at least four times as long as any rounds I've used previously. Once broken in, they keep their tone.

Buzz E likes this.
  13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    Any new-to-me 34" scale bass gets EB Hybrid Slinkys on it, as soon after the function check as possible. Especially if it has D'Addarios on it. Not because they're bad strings, but because I'm seriously allergic to what ever they use in their polishing/finishing process. The Slinkys are in the same class as the EXL 170s; decent sounding, consistent quality, and inexpensive; but, they don't make my hands itch...:whistle: And, sometimes they give me the sound I want from that bass, so there they stay. But usually they're just a known starting point to begin my search for "That Sound". The only other rounds I use (if you don't count Tapes as rounds) are the short scale GHS Bass Boomers. On my Kramer Duke Special, they most definitely give me "That Sound"....:thumbsup:

14. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    D'Addario Slowwounds, although I believe they have been discontinued.

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:laugh:

16. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Dedicated 760FL user here. When it comes to rounds, Dunlop SBN's because they are the opposite of flats.

17. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    Whatever's cheapest. They all sound the same to me.

18. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    For Fender or Squier P or J bass, the Fender 7250ML is a nice round wound with great tone.
    D'addario EXL 170 / 165 sound clearer BUT it still lack some raw tone from 7250ML.

19. I can suggest the rotosound nickel rounds. Once they loose their zing I find them very fundamental sounding while keeping a good raw tone with nice mids. They sound a bit like d'addario Chromes but with a little bit less low end and more texture.

20. I'm trying out the GHS Boomers (custom, 45-60-80-105) on my P for the first time and so far really liking them for their punchy low-mids with very little zing up top. Stiff enough for me to be able to switch back and forth with the Fender 9050CL (45-60-80-105) on my J without having to adjust the playing technique too much.

For something more flexible/supple, I would recommend the Round Core Boomers, either 45-65-80-100 or even 40-55-75-95.

armybass likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021