1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Satriani Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by WoodyG3, Mar 7, 2010.

1. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Stu Hamm, Dave LaRue and Matt Bissonette have all recorded and toured with Joe Satriani. Which one is your favorite?

I'll sit back and read what you guys have to say before I chime in.

BTW, I'm not including Michael Anthony who played with Satch in Chicken Foot, just thinking of Joe's solo work, here.

2. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    For me it's a toss-up between Dave and Stu...but I'll go with Dave cuz I like his tone much more than Stu's.

3. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I dug the groove Matt Bissonette brought to Joe's work!

4. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Portland
    Got to be tough playing with such an incendiary guitarist. Do you lay back and let the star shine or thump powerfully under him. I'm sure its a bit of both, but Matt, Dave and Stu all equally seemed to solve for this issue.

5. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    Hamm

6. Matt. Love his lines on strange beautiful music. Great album. Nice grooves.

7. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    What, no love for nathan east on the "joe satriani" album? i love some of the lines on that. that said, its very tough as stu has recorded more albums with joe.

Joe satriani is my favourite album, but i prefer stu's work on my second favourite album "crystal planet"

8. Rich L

Rich L

May 17, 2006
    Ft Myers, FL
    Stu, by nose, over LaRue :bassist:

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

He did great work with Satch.

10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

11. bassdreams

bassdreams

May 14, 2009
    Despite his profuse stage sweating and heavy mouth breathing Stu Hamm is for sure the best out of this group

12. East for sure. Great sound on the song Cool #9

13. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Stuart Hamm for me.

14. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    Saw Stu play with Satch years ago here in Cincy. Super awesome show. His playing was very in the pocket, even when he was stretching out and doing the two handed stuff.

15. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Bissonette did some stellar work

16. AtomicPunk

AtomicPunk Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Detroit Metro, MI USA
    Stu. I also think the material was better then so that might have something to do with it.

17. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    :(I honestly didn't know Nathan East did anything with Satriani. Silly of me, since Satriani and East are two of my favorite musicians.

Anyway, I like Matt Bissonette's groove and slightly less aggressive tone the best of the bunch. I like them all a lot, though, and of them all I'd say Stu impresses me the most with his ability to play in so many styles and do it so well. Still, I'd argue that Matt plays what is called for by the music a little better than the rest. I might could be crazy, though! :p

18. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    i tabbed it here

I'd be interested to know what you think

19. bass_talker99

bass_talker99

Mar 9, 2010
    Dave LaRue hands down.

they are all great, but has anyone seen Dave play lately?

It just keeps getting better....

20. threshar

threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Stu for me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020