1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Favorite Seafood

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slobake, Jun 2, 2014.

1. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I had some really good food when I was in Great Britain. Various pies, the best fish and chips I ever had and one of my favorite meals was in Dublin. I really good piece of fish called hake. We don't have that in California be we do have some really good fish here.
    I like sand dabs, they are a small fish with a sweet taste. They are bottom fish and look like miniature halibut. The best way to cook them is to bread them lightly and sear them quickly. You can remove all the bones in one piece without too much effort. It is also a pretty inexpensive fish when you can get it.
    My wife likes Chilean sea bass and she is happy it has been removed from the threatened species list.
    Our local dungeness crab is also really delicious.

What kind of seafood do you like?

2. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Lobster. But I dislike the shell immensely.

Luke19Boarder likes this.
  3. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    Shrimp and clams ... simmered with old bay, jalapeno, onion, garlic and olive oil. Toss with pasta ... your preference.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Alaskan king crab legs. Doused in butter.

Or shrimp cocktail. Good shrimp cocktail with big shrimps, with really good, not too tangy cocktail sauce.

Or raw oysters. A lot of raw oysters...with lemon.

Lobster is good, but not worth the work that goes into it. A New England style lobster roll is fantastic though.

5. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    Blackened dolphin fish (mahi-mahi)
    Steamed oysters drenched in Old Bay.

Actually, I like pretty much any seafood drenched in Old Bay, so long as the spice isn't too old.

oldbay.
    Yeah, that was pretty much my experience 15 years ago.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  6. ChrisB2

ChrisB2 Bass... in your fass

Feb 27, 2008
    TalkBass > Off Topic
    0004440015650_500X500.

DwaynieAD, Immigrant and 4StringAxe like this.
  7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Love linguini & clams. White, that is. Favorite fish, I think probably sushi. Favorite sushi is probably salmon.

8. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Sea bass all the way! Love the taste, especially from the Fish Market in Columbus, OH with the Asian style preparation. Soooo good!

9. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Lox. Yummy yummy lox. And whitefish. And pickled herring, but not in cream sauce.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Unless it's uni, pretty much whatever seafood is in front of me - unless it is processed. That stuff is strictly off limits for me. I'm not the fondest of Salmon unless it is sushi and then mostly if is is the 'toro' cut. Salmon is just so in your face here... I tend to use the smoked stuff more... Onvpce in a while we make Grav Lax if we get a nice side.

West coast sand dab is an east coast flounder or a very close cousin. My fav prep there would be florentine.

Albacore with a very quick marinade of Mirin, Roasted Sesame Oil and Soy. Dusted with a simple sea salt, corriander, sugar 'rub' and grilled lightly is staple food when they are in season.

Manilla clams, parsley,mint, white wine, chili flake and some butter to finish. Big dinner ? Serve over pasta. Lighter ? Skip the pasta.

And then there are fish taco's. As far as I am concerned, I think the FDA screwed up the whole food pyramid thing. Fish taco's get their own pyramid! Along with Chocolate, Red Wine, Pizza and Mole!

If you are wondering what preparations do well with different types of fish, looking for new recipes, etc, I like Mark Bittman's book FISH. I am a Bittman fan in general. Tom Douglas' book on Crab Cakes. Pretty specialized but if you really like crab cakes - we do! Then it should have a place on the shelf.

I have a few cookbooks on Basque cooking and there are some beautiful preparations in them as well. I am a cookbook junky....

11. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Snow crab legs, and blackened shrimp with my own blackening spice. Love them both equally. Hit a seafood buffet with crab legs a couple of years ago. I put down about 6 lbs of legs. It was all I ate.

edpal likes this.
  12. I love crab legs (King and snow), lobster, scallops, and of course shrimp... ImageUploadedByTalkBass1401762603.634155.

13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Fresh clams, mussels or oysters any way. Lox.

14. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Love it all...sushi, lobster, a good Maryland crab-cake and of course, me loves the shrimps.

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Salmon no matter how it's cooked, or raw.

Most sushi & sashimi

Crab, shrimp...if it comes out of water, I pretty much love it, except for uni.

16. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Nemo on a stick.

Darth Handsome likes this.
  17. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

Fish gotta swim, bird's gotta eat.

wild4oldcars likes this.
  18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I had some of this the other day. It was very good.
    trader-joes-wild-salmon-jerky.

nukes_da_bass likes this.
  19. El Spearo

El Spearo

Jun 12, 2012
    Wellington, NZ
    Love it all. I go and hunt/gather my own roughly every other week. Usuals are terakihi, John dory, butterfish and kahawai. Kingfish, snapper and albacore around summer. Also get kina (sea urchin), Paua (abalone), crayfish and scallops when in season. A bit spoilt really

20. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Scallops are sooo good. Good scallops, that is.

I've heard the scallops that crappy restaurants serve are actually stingray wings. They punch holes out of the wings and sell it as scallops. Not sure if that's true.